Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR ED Best Zoom Length Option

Paganman2

What is the best option with this lovely lens - use it at its softest range 300mm even at f8 and get slightly soft images and then crop these a bit in post, or pull back a bit to say 250mm where it is supposed to improve a lot, and crop slightly more to get to the same size of final image as the 300mm option?

My way of thinking was that it is better to crop a sharp image of an object that is slightly further away, than to crop an softer image less.

P.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There is only one way to find out and it is just try it. I would guess that even if you try, the difference might (I don't know since I never tried it myself) not be that important. But if you think you want to know, try it and please let us know of your results. Maybe you could shed light for others too.

Paganman2

There is only one way to find out and it is just try it. I would guess that even if you try, the difference might (I don't know since I never tried it myself) not be that important. But if you think you want to know, try it and please let us know of your results. Maybe you could shed light for others too.

Thank you for the reply - i will have to do some testing, as you say it might be helpful for the other owners of this great but very under rated lens, to find its alround sweetspot.

P.

J-see

From what I see, she's sharpest on the D7100 at 70/5.6, 70/8 and 135/8 and about similar at 200/8 but there quality goes a bit down the further from the center.µ

But you have to test if it is true for your lens on your cam.

Paganman2

From what I see, she's sharpest on the D7100 at 70/5.6, 70/8 and 135/8 and about similar at 200/8 but there quality goes a bit down the further from the center.µ

But you have to test if it is true for your lens on your cam.

Do you think there is much difference at 250mm? i have checked the different lens test sites like digital picture etc, but they only show whole drops in lens size - 300/200/100mm etc i know 200mm is very good at the center and similar from f5.6 - f8, with my needs 250mm is just about liveable in size with the crop mode in the d7100 and a bit on top of that after in pp, 200mm would be to small i feel.

P.

J-see

Do you think there is much difference at 250mm? i have checked the different lens test sites like digital picture etc, but they only show whole drops in lens size - 300/200/100mm etc i know 200mm is very good at the center and similar from f5.6 - f8, with my needs 250mm is just about liveable in size with the crop mode in the d7100 and a bit on top of that after in pp, 200mm would be to small i feel.

P.

I couldn't tell you what she does at 250mm since those ranges are rarely tested. All I can tell you is that I took plenty a shot with the 70-300mm on my D3300 and never complained about a lack of sharpness. From 70 to 300mm. I cropped all of those lengths and never complained. Btw, don't shoot crop mode unless you need more buffer or require smaller sized files. It doesn't improve the shot in any other way. That aside the 70-300mm's sharpness won't be the same when I use her now on my D750 but there are more reasons for that.

You have to understand sharpness is addictive. At start you have a good lens and she takes a good shot and you consider her pretty sharp and all is well. But you get used to that sharpness and in time, pay little attention to it. Until you shoot a lens that's obviously sharper.

Now suddenly your previous feels like you're trying to cut meat with a broomstick. That new sharpness becomes your standard sharpness and nothing less will satisfy you. You'll get used to this new sharpness too. Until you again shoot something sharper. It's a very costly addiction and there's no going back.

I did consider the 70-300mm sharp and I was also one of those that wondered why some people considered the Tam 150-600mm a bit soft. Ironically now I've become one of those people.

Don't worry too much about sharpness. If you think your lens takes a good and sharp shot, she does. And there's always software to improve upon that sharpness.

If you think she should be sharper, that's true too but we all think that about each of our lenses.

Last edited: