newbie needs help please

redsoxfan

Hi,
My wife and I are new to photography and would like to purchase a Nikon DSLR. We believe that we have it narrowed down to the D5300 or the D7000.
Can anyone give us some info, opinions etc so we do not buy something that we do not need.
Thank you for any help.

Vixen

I agree with Don on holding out for the D7100 if it is within budget. There are some good deals to be had out there

redsoxfan

sports, family , nature.
I guess we wanted to know which is better in auto?
Thanks
ps just watched my Bruins beat Detroit. You guys put it to us in Cup Finals though.

redsoxfan

Well we would like to spend less than the D7100. As I said we are new and never have owned a DSLR. With that said if there is a clear winner in the $800 or less category thats the one for us. We are looking used as well/
Thanks

Daz

Well the 7200 coming out soon should mean the 7100 drops in price, are you planning to learn the are of photography and come out of Auto ?

Moab Man

If you are looking to stay in auto then I would go with the D5300 - newer sensor. The D7000 is more oriented for a person wanting to manually shoot. Not that it won't shoot in auto, but it has buttons laid out for manual control that would simply not be needed if you're shooting in auto.

Blacktop

Ok, was looking at d7100 with a case the wifi adapter and a 50-300mm vr lens.Is a good value around $1500?
Thanks

Absolutely not. Adorama has refurb D7100 for sale at 699.00 now and new ones for 899.00. You also do not want the 55-300mm lens.

For 1500 I would get a refurb D7100, a refurb 18-140mm and a 70-300mm VR lens\, and probably have money left over.

Last edited:

SteveL54

Absolutely not. Adorama has refurb D7100 for sale at 699.00 now and new ones for 899.00. You also do not want the 55-300mm lens.

For 1500 I would get a refurb D7100, a refurb 18-140mm and a 70-300mm VR lens\, and probably have money left over.

I did this deal a few months ago, D7100 and 18-140 cost me just $1,000.
No regrets.

Now I'm sure that @Pretzel will be along shortly to say that he was about to post this, but I beat him to it.
Don't believe a word that he says.

Pretzel

I did this deal a few months ago, D7100 and 18-140 cost me just $1,000.
No regrets.

Now I'm sure that @Pretzel will be along shortly to say that he was about to post this, but I beat him to it.
Don't believe a word that he says.

<<deleted typing was here, but it definitely did NOT say "I was about to say that">>

redsoxfan

the refurb can be trusted? I am a little concerned. I will go with the advice I receive here, though.
Thank you for any advice.

Blacktop

the refurb can be trusted? I am a little concerned. I will go with the advice I receive here, though.
Thank you for any advice.

Yes it can. Adorama is reputable company. I got my refurb D7100 from them with about 500 actuations(shutter count). Almost brand new. I also bought a D300 from them used. If you are not comfortable then just get the new one, but do stay away from the 55-300mm lens.

redsoxfan

Yes it can. Adorama is reputable company. I got my refurb D7100 from them with about 500 actuations(shutter count). Almost brand new. I also bought a D300 from them used. If you are not comfortable then just get the new one, but do stay away from the 55-300mm lens.

Why is that lens bad? why is the 70-300 so much better?
Thanks

Pretzel

Why is that lens bad? why is the 70-300 so much better?
Thanks

The 55-300 isn't bad, but the 70-300 is just enough better. It's a little faster to lock on with auto-focus, a little sharper in a wider range, and full sized, so if you ever go to FX in the future, this lens will go with you. Plus, it gives you instant override with the manual focus ring without having to flip a switch like on the 55-300. :)

I bought mine as a factory refurb, 1 year warranty, so got a good lens for a good price! Just make sure you get the VR version and not one of the older versions!

Last edited: