Hanging Basket

Rick M

I loved the colors of these flowers but could not get around the basket, so I left it in for perspective. May have lost some detail since I was not in raw mode.
The vignetting added mostly to minimize the basket. I was struggleing with a slight breeze so I don't think it's as sharp as it could have been.Your feedback is appreciated

DSC_0009_347.jpg

PavementPilot

Leaving the basket in there is ok. It is what is called a matured subject. You know what it is by the partial inclusion, but does not distract from the main overall subject.

Have you tried Content aware fill in CS5? It is great for removing odd things in a otherwise great photo. Personally the basket does not bother me BUT if gone you would probably love this photo more.

Browncoat

Flower photography falls into the fine art category. Fine art is something to be displayed, framed and hanging on a wall for example, and appreciated simply for it's beauty. Would you hang this on your wall? More importantly, with your name attached to it, would you want it hanging on someone else's wall? Remove the pot and the stick, and the artistic value of this photo increases tenfold. The truth is, I think you knew that, and that's a good thing. It's progress. But that leads me to my next questions:

Instead of providing disclaimers about focus issues due to wind and the addition of heavy vignetting, why post this photo at all? Why share this composition when it clearly isn't ready to be shared? The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel wasn't painted overnight.

Be selective with your shots. If you see something that you want to convey to the rest of us, then it's worth waiting for, isn't it? This isn't fishing. We don't want to hear about the ones that got away, we want the keepers. If a shot doesn't turn out the way you want, then do it over. If that stick needs to be removed, then take it out.

The point is, you know what the issues are here. You knew before you even posted. If this isn't an accurate representation of what you want, then wait for the right time. Go back and re-do this one if you can. Fix the issues you wrote about. Make sure you're shooting in RAW, work on the composition, and check for sharp focus.

Last edited:

Rick M

Thank You all for your input!

Anthony- Many valid points, Thank You!

I guess my purpose in posting this was to determine if what I thought to be imperfections was true to what the rest of the group felt. The mistakes are there and unfortunately I cannot reshoot, the flowers have changed. This is good feedback for future work. I am usually my worst critic, unfortunately, if I waited to post something I considered perfect, I would end up never posting anything at all!

KWJams

Flower photography falls into the fine art category. Fine art is something to be displayed, framed and hanging on a wall for example, and appreciated simply for it's beauty. Would you hang this on your wall? More importantly, with your name attached to it, would you want it hanging on someone else's wall? Remove the pot and the stick, and the artistic value of this photo increases tenfold. The truth is, I think you knew that, and that's a good thing. It's progress. But that leads me to my next questions:

Instead of providing disclaimers about focus issues due to wind and the addition of heavy vignetting, why post this photo at all? Why share this composition when it clearly isn't ready to be shared? The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel wasn't painted overnight.

Be selective with your shots. If you see something that you want to convey to the rest of us, then it's worth waiting for, isn't it? This isn't fishing. We don't want to hear about the ones that got away, we want the keepers. If a shot doesn't turn out the way you want, then do it over. If that stick needs to be removed, then take it out.

The point is, you know what the issues are here. You knew before you even posted. If this isn't an accurate representation of what you want, then wait for the right time. Go back and re-do this one if you can. Fix the issues you wrote about. Make sure you're shooting in RAW, work on the composition, and check for sharp focus.

Now drop and give me 25 push-ups! :)

I really like the way they cascade.

jengajoh

Anthony does make good points, but Rick so do you. I am the same way, I never see any of my photos as perfect, so I post my favorite from that day (for my 365).
As for my opinion, I like the shot, I like the pot in the picture and I like the perspective looking down with a little tilt. My eyes are definitely drawn to the flowers and I like the detail and the contrast in the veins.

KWJams

Some pictures are meant to be more than just a picture. :cool:

I added 4% poster affect to your picture and it turned out really nice and something worth hanging on a wall -- the planter gives it an abstract look.

posterized.png