Filters

edwardandeileen

Hi, I am a new member and a very 'green' hobbyist. I recently purchased a D5200 and I am delighted with it. However, I am now looking to buy some filters, as I am primarily interested in landscapes. The users manual recommends using C-PL/C-PL II circular polarizing filters (not cheap), and states that the 'D5200 cannot be used with linear polarizing filters'. Why is this? Many thanks, Ed

J-see

A linear polarizing filter will mess up your "through the lens" metering and auto-focus while a circular doesn't hinder.

If you'd meter handheld and manually focus, it should work but I myself prefer the easiness of CPL.

J-see

Hi there J-see, thank you for your reply, so I'll go for the circular.... Regard's, Ed

A word of advise; there are many CPLs on the market ranging from reasonable cheap to very expensive but there's often a reason why some are cheap and others cost more. Depending what lens you'll be using and how wide it is, some might cause a lot of vignetting or differences in colors while others will perform much better.

You can buy a good one for your widest lens and then buy much cheaper step-down rings to use that same CPL on the others.

Last edited: