Hello from the UK

MC Hammer

Hello Nikonites,
I a new member to this forum. Photography is a hobby, and more particularly fitness / sports photography. I am trying to improve my skills so I have been “covering”local fitness open days.

As I mostly shoot in sports halls and dance studios where there is artificial lighting such as fluorescent or incandescent lights, I would like to know if you would advise me to stick with auto white balance (and let my D3100 decide) or to use a manual preset. I have done some basic tests and have found that the auto setting seemsto give better results but then I am no expert and perhaps I am missing some vital tips and tricks.
I just wanted to say that I usually do not use flash (I have bought a flashgun but I have just started to learn how to use it). Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:

traceyjj

Welcome to the forum.
I have no idea about your question as I do not shoot in those conditions, but just wanted to welcome you here :)

Felisek

Welcome to the forum.

As Tracey, I don't shoot in these conditions, but I did take a few photos under nasty mixed artificial light. One thing you can do is to take a picture of a grey (or white) card and use it in post processing to set your white balance. Ideally, the white card should be placed where your subjects are to record the same light. But even if this is not possible, you can take a picture of the card anywhere in the hall, providing that they use the same light all over the place. Unless the light is changing dramatically during the event, you will need only one or two card photos taken before and/or after the event.

jay_dean

If you've experimented, and found your camera chooses the best WB, then you've answered your own question. WB is the only thing i let my camera decide, that, and i'm forgetful and lazy;)
Welcome along..

wornish

Welcome.

If you shoot in RAW then you can use Auto WB on your camera and then adjust in post afterwards to get the look you want.

MC Hammer

Thank you all, I am overwhelmed by the warm welcome :eek:
Yes I think I will leave the settings on auto. I tried a preset using a white sheet of paper (I think Felisek suggested something similar), it looked good for some photos but not so nice for others. I think that the lighting was not homogeneously distributed.

I shoot RAW so I could theoretically post-process my photos but my knowledge is limited in that area. Have been looking at the Photoshop help, looks like there is a photo filter tool. Is this what you had in mind for white balance adjustments?

MC Hammer

Thank you all, I am just trying to find my way around this forum and I am currently filling in my profile info :p

Last edited: