Hello

BFBuschi

I thought I would check this out. I am a professional. I am 69 years old and have been taking pictures for over 50 years. When I was 19 I built my first darkroom. I did some professional work for a time. When film was no longer available my picture taking was drastically reduced. Several years ago I bought a consumer digital camera for snapshots.
In the late 90s I began doing fine art reproductions. I used a large format scanner. I scanned original art and transparencies. Scanning pieces that were over 6 feet tall presented a challenge and I had to develop my own techniques. I would have gotten a digital camera back then, but at the time, I would have had to invest over $50,000 and I did not do so.
For the last few years I have been looking for a suitable alternative to my scanner. In December, 2014 I purchased a D810 and have been using that ever since. I mostly use the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens. I purchased 2 other Nikkor lens and use them for other types of photography.
I built a studio just for this work and have rigged my own lighting and made some specific equipment to use with my camera.
I believe I am doing the best work I have ever done. I still stitch several photos together when doing a large piece. My color reproduction is dead on accurate.
What amazes me most is the technology. My original 35mm slr is a far cry from the D810. I knew what I had to do when I got the camera, but the controls were not intuitive for me. I had to read a book just to find out where the controls were.
The folks at Nikon have always been helpful and friendly, but are not as knowledgeable as I would have liked. NPS is a big disappointment. I find NPS unresponsive. I would guess they are understaffed. I just wrote a letter about this to Nikon, Inc. and sent a copy to the President of Nikon in Japan.
I wish I had this camera long ago, but it wasn't available long ago. I looked at a few other cameras before making my purchase but ruled them out based upon performance and suitability.

Brendan Buschi