stuff in the camera

lucien

Hi Nikonites, I just picked up a camera D50 about 2 months ago. Hardly used and a lens on it at all times. I now see what looks like a piece of carpet fibre through the viewfinder. It's at 5 pm spot if it was a clockface. Can I get that out? Does it affect the picture at all or ignore it? Second part. I was reading about cleaning the inside of the cam. but I'm scared just got it. I took a pic from the directions I read on a website, will a dose of air clean that out? I don't think the D50 has that self cleaning thing. I have a pic which I took using a white foam board. I can't send it today Im past the 1 pic limit. I'll do so tomm

Nikon Photographer

Do not use canned air to clean inside the camera, get yourself a Giotto Rocket air blower instead,depending where the fibre is, it might affect the photo, but if it's just inside the viewfinder and not on the sensor, then no, it won't affect the photo, if you don't want to do a clean yourself, there's plenty of photo stores or repair agents that will, shouldn't cost too much to get done.

lucien

thanks, I see they sell a squeeze thing with a brush or something on one end. That's the thing I was referring to. Giotto Rocket air blower.The spots aren't showing up. I'll have to take a few more to see if the carpet fibre shows up. If it doesn't it's in/on the viewfinder. Would I see it if it's on the mirror? Meaning it can be in 3 places? It's not on the lens because I swapped one out and they are new. Btw the carpet fibre didn't show up when I took the picture of the insides with the whiteboard. You would think they cleaned the damn thing at the store. It might have been sitting around or I could have let something in. As I learn more the more things I discover good and bad lol

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

If it's inside the viewfinder, the camera would need to be dismantled to get it out,that's nothing a camera store could do itself unless it has a repair department.

lucien

Another question regarding cleaning. It might be common sense, should the battery be taken out? What area of the house should I do it? etc. I'll have a look at youtube too before I try it. And to remove it from the viewfinder will cost more than I paid for the camera $89 lol. It might not even be worth it.

lucien

DSC_3773.jpg

That's what it looks like. I'm going to order a kit and give it a try

dennybeall

If the spots are in the picture they are either on the sensor or in the lens. Dark, solid spots are not like the grey blurry spots I had with a dirty sensor so not sure what else to say...

wud

The hair in the viewfinder aren't gonna show on your images :) But you got some spots on the sensor as well - go to YouTube and search for something like, how to clean nikon (insert your camera). Watch a few different videos, so your sure they are doing it right.

The battery needs to be in and also fully charged.

I think it's a little different how you do on the many different cameras, on mine I turn a wheel to "mirror", then in the menu I choose "lock mirror for cleaning" - no lens on. After clean, I unlock the mirror again and I'm done.

lucien

I hope your wrong, because I live in a basement? No Lol. Not on the lens they dont show up. but if it degrades to that I'm f'cked. I used a piece of whiteboard, some kind of foam pad. That might be the stuff on the pad. Don't scare me. How long did it take for your's to get to that from the last pic and why didn't people explain about underground lol. The humidity is low down here though

I'm getting my camera outta dodge as we speak, just in case

and thank you

lucien

and who takes a before and after pic. of the sensor Just saying. OMG same procedure on most Nikon and I did do the homework, but there is no cure for "fungus" is there? If ithat is what it is.

thanks for the imput

Last edited:

J-see

I could be wrong but even if I'm right, it's in its early stages.

I opened the photo in GIMP to check what it was since it doesn't resemble the spots I'm familiar with. After adjusting brightness and contrast to have a better look, "organic" was the first thing that came to mind. I just googled mold + sensor and encountered some shots that had those same black dots.

It can still be dust or fabric balls but whatever it is, it does not belong there. If it is mold, it can get into your lenses too.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
View attachment 141518

That's what it looks like. I'm going to order a kit and give it a try

To remove the focusing screen, have a look here, it should give you an idea of how to remove the screen and blow out any dust and fluff in the viewfinder

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install10.pdf

Read more: http://nikonites.com/photography-q-and-a/28918-stuff-camera.html#ixzz3SKRX4xyg

Because I am having similar issues (see D5300 Forum) I am questioning the relationship between these two posts. If Lucien was able to take a photo of the spots, why would the focus screen need to be messed with? The way I understand it the focus screen is out of the loop when a picture is taken, mirror up... Am I wrong?

lucien

I will take all you have said/written into consideration. I will not jump the gun either. But it is something to be aware of for sure thx cwgrizz Grizz your are the man no lol til further notice. Not Lol. this is all about science.

gracias, I"m not not spanish just practicing

Last edited:

lucien

great, and thank you. I will take that route. it's been great but you guys need to give me time to grow up. ;) and sorry for wasting anyone's time

Last edited:

lucien

no news is good news by the way. And there are no orders coming out of asia til feb 25. So happy new year, and alot of people have purchased from there.

wud

Because I am having similar issues (see D5300 Forum) I am questioning the relationship between these two posts. If Lucien was able to take a photo of the spots, why would the focus screen need to be messed with? The way I understand it the focus screen is out of the loop when a picture is taken, mirror up... Am I wrong?

He wrote, he could see a hair or alike, through the viewfinder - that will not show on the images. It's only if he finds it annoying to look at, he should try to remove it.

Im not thinking fungus from that image, Lucien, I'm thinking you took an image of your wall or something with structure in, and since you used f/25, your small dust spots are looking very clear, also the structure.

Was it a wall?

Last edited:

lucien

no it was't the wall it was a white board, mentioned earlier in the thread and it's not something. I want to worry about anymore. there are people here with different level of expertise and it's a bit too deep for me. I might be in the wrong forum/section. It's all good life is short. Keep shooting

And how did this little question escalate into this