How to determine lens focal length

Michigandr

Sorry for this very amateur question, but i have an heirloom F2 and I am wondering what focal length the lens is. I think its a 50mm but I'm not sure. The aperture is f/3.5-f/32. Sorry, thanks

Eyelight

Any other markings on the lens?? If not maybe post a picture of it.

A rough idea could be had by comparing it to a known lens or using a zoom to match views.

f/3.5 would be pretty slow for a prime. Sounds like it might be a zoom. Either way there should be marking on the lens that will tell us exactly what you have. Read them and post them here. If you photograph it make sure you have all the markings shown

Michigandr

5.jpgunname2d (1).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed.jpg

Michigandr

Haha, whoops. Its a 55mm. I knew I had known what it was.. It was hard to see in there with the filter/protector on there. Sorry for wasting ur time haha. Thanks. I want to get a fast wide lens. I looked on B&H but most things looked expensive. Could you recommend a place or certain lens that would be a good bet. I appreciate it

Michigandr

It is a 55mm f/3.5 Nikkor-P macro lens, pre-AI, about 1967. I have one, and every detail matches. It focuses to 1:2, and came with a M2 extension ring that takes it to 1:1.

The last lens on the page here
55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor-P Auto

Yup, thats it. It says it can be used for general photography as well. I dont have the extensions, would it still be used as a macro lens? What would it normally be used for without the extensions. thanks

Eyelight

Haha, whoops. Its a 55mm. I knew I had known what it was.. It was hard to see in there with the filter/protector on there. Sorry for wasting ur time haha. Thanks. I want to get a fast wide lens. I looked on B&H but most things looked expensive. Could you recommend a place or certain lens that would be a good bet. I appreciate it

Which camera are you using?

Yup, thats it. It says it can be used for general photography as well. I dont have the extensions, would it still be used as a macro lens? What would it normally be used for without the extensions. thanks

Extension allows for closer focusing.

WayneF

It is NOT a AI lens. It is pre-AI. I had mine modified by Nikon to AI about 20 years ago. Nikon advises to NOT use non-AI lenses on digital cameras. It is not made for digital, and it is said that it can cause damage to the electrical contacts in the digital body opening. It will be fine on a film body.

It will focus up very close, as is, without the extension tube. Up to within 4 or 5 inches as is (from front of lens). Up to 2:1 size, which means if the subject is one inch dimension, the subject image on the sensor will be 1/2 inch size. That provides for most macro work, all but the most extreme closeup.

If you add the extension (about 27mm length), it will focus to 1:1, up to within a couple of inches (from front of lens). Any subject one inch dimension will project an image 1 inch size, which is 1:1 ( but the digital DX sensor is only about 0.6 inches tall and one inch wide).

Michigandr

It is NOT a AI lens. It is pre-AI. I had mine modified by Nikon to AI about 20 years ago. Nikon advises to NOT use non-AI lenses on digital cameras. It is not made for digital, and it is said that it can cause damage to the electrical contacts in the digital body opening. It will be fine on a film body.

It will focus up very close, as is, without the extension tube. Up to within 4 or 5 inches as is (from front of lens). Up to 2:1 size, which means if the subject is one inch dimension, the subject image on the sensor will be 1/2 inch size. That provides for most macro work, all but the most extreme closeup.

If you add the extension (about 27mm length), it will focus to 1:1, up to within a couple of inches (from front of lens). Any subject one inch dimension will project an image 1 inch size, which is 1:1 ( but the digital DX sensor is only about 0.6 inches tall and one inch wide).

I am not nor have I tried using it on a digital camera. Thanks for all the great info that helps alot. So this is pretty much strictly a macro lens and wouldnt be used for any general shooting? I want to get a wide lens like a 35mm where would be a good place to find a fast one for a decent price? A non-AI i guess

WayneF

It is optimized for 1:10 ratio, which is about 2 feet for 50mm, nothing will be better there. It was a very good lens. But not strictly macro, it does also focus at infinity, however other regular lenses may be a bit sharper at infinity.

A regular 50mm f/1.8 is a superb "normal lens" and should be inexpensive used.

Michigandr

It is optimized for 1:10 ratio, which is about 2 feet for 50mm, nothing will be better there. It was a very good lens. But not strictly macro, it does also focus at infinity, however other regular lenses may be a bit sharper at infinity.

A regular 50mm f/1.8 is a superb "normal lens" and should be inexpensive used.

Where would you recommend looking for old lenses? Ebay, b&h? thanks

WayneF

Where would you recommend looking for old lenses? Ebay, b&h? thanks

Sorry, I don't have experience to know. Personally, I would look at

The Smarter Way to Buy and Sell New & Used Cameras – Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH Camera

and also Used | B&H Photo

I just bought a used Nikon SC-17 hot shoe extension cable (the old version. my third one) on Ebay. It was from B&H. I'm a little afraid of Ebay, but I trust B&H. It was only $14, which I thought an extremely good price. It arrived in the original Nikon box (with a Used sticker), and included the original Instruction sheet papers. Everything looked like new.

Last edited:

Michigandr

Sorry, I don't have experience to know. Personally, I would look at

The Smarter Way to Buy and Sell New & Used Cameras – Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH Camera

and also Used | B&H Photo

I just bought a used Nikon SC-17 hot shoe extension cable (the old version. my third one) on Ebay. It was from B&H. I'm a little afraid of Ebay, but I trust B&H. It was only $14, which I thought an extremely good price. It arrived in the original Nikon box (with a Used sticker), and included the original Instruction sheet papers. Everything looked like new.

I appreciate all the help!