Self-timers

Retro

I'm really curious about self-timers in high end cameras. I have a Canon A640 (very old), with a 30sec timer. It was a high end point and shoot when it was current, and I figured a high end camera should have a much better timer - like at least a minute or more.

I've looked at the specs on the D750 and one other model, and I'm surprised that the timer is only 20 seconds.

PapaST

Self timer for what purpose? So you can get back in front of the camera or perhaps for something else? I'd bet the D750 has increments of 2, 5, 10 and maybe even 20 seconds before it actuates. It should also have a built in intervalometer so you can configure what time of day you shoot, how many exposures and what increment. They also have 3rd party remotes that can do this for the D750 I'm sure.

AC016

Remote shutter release is best if you are not satisfied with 20 seconds. That, or use an app that can use the cameras wifi to trigger the shutter.

J-see

The D750 has 2,5,10 and 20s but in the age of remote triggers, I wouldn't know why I'd even need a self-timer. I used it on the D3300 to get rid of all movement before taking some pod-shots.

WayneF

A longer selftimer would seem to just be a problem anticipating when it would trigger?

But speaking of the high end Nikon DSLR (those that have the ten pin shutter connector, D750, D800, D300, D200, D4, D3, D2, etc, etc),

They can use a Nikon MC-36 timer. It is very versatile, can be a regular self timer (delay time), or an interval timer, the exposure time, the interval, the number of shots, etc), or any combination of the functions. Time functions can be up to 100 hours.

The Nikon version is expensive, but now there are MC-36 knockoffs, very inexpensive, look and work identically, for example the Neewer at this link:

Amazon.com: mc-36: Electronics

I have one just like it, says Yongnuo, which is just another relabeled knockoff of same thing.

That would solve your D750 problem, for $16. :) Or search for MC-36 on Ebay.... Just make sure its cable fits your camera model. Some are for Canon.

Last edited:

Retro

Many times, while using my old OM-10, or the A640, I have set the timer to 30sec. and run as fast as I could to the spot I wanted to be just in time for the shutter to release.

The problem with a remote device is that you would be photographed with it in your hand, which would ruin the photo. If you could press the button on the remote and then put it in your pocket before the shutter is released that would be perfect.

AC016

Many times, while using my old OM-10, or the A640, I have set the timer to 30sec. and run as fast as I could to the spot I wanted to be just in time for the shutter to release.

The problem with a remote device is that you would be photographed with it in your hand, which would ruin the photo. If you could press the button on the remote and then put it in your pocket before the shutter is released that would be perfect.

Nope. The remote is small enough to hide in your hand and you don't have to point it directly at the camera. How far away are you positioning yourself in front of the camera?

WayneF

10 seconds always seemed ample to me, and it is hard to imagine you are going to see anything recognizable in a distant photo at 30 seconds running distance. :) So I would disagree. Job for a remote radio shutter trigger. Get where you are going, and then trigger it discretely in your hand. The hand need not be visible, or it is just a button needing one finger press, it could be concealed in a visible hand.

There are many of them now. I use the Phottox Plato
Amazon.com : Phottix Plato Nikon Wire/Wireless Remote Set (Black) : Camera & Photo

AC016

You can also look into the WR-T10 and the WR-R10 (you need both). You can be 66 feet (20 meters) away from your cam if you like. If that is not sufficient, then you may want to hire an assistant, lol:p

PapaST

You could set it to 10s delay, remote trigger it and slide it in your pocket within 10 seconds.

Or you could set your intervalometer to trigger in a matter of minutes if you need that much time. You can set it to do several exposures so you can do a few before running all the way back.

J-see

If you use mirror up with the D750 I think it has a 30s delay but I'd have to check to be sure. I have to test it but maybe both can be combined which would close in at a minute.