Hoping for my first Nikon

Retro

Hello Photobugs!

My dad had an Olympus OM-10 for most of my growing up years, and he took a lot of great photos with it. In this way, he was a major influence on me having an interest in photography. When I was about 20 he bought a new OM model, and sold me the OM-10, with a Vivitar zoom lens, for about $200.

I used it a fair bit, and took a lot of very good pictures with it. It died about 10 years ago, and it's not worth fixing. I am very disappointed that my dad never had an interest in Nikon, but being a low level hobbyist, he viewed himself as below Nikon. I have dreamed of having a Nikon for most of my adult life, but never put enough money together to buy one. Marriage and debt had something to do with that.

I'm 48 now, and almost ready to retire. On my list of retirement hobbies, photography is probably #1. I will never consider any other brand but Nikon (except Canon for point-and-shoot, but that's not photography).

I have minimal experience in photography, and I'm nowhere near those of you who've had Nikons since you were in your 20's, which is true of most photography enthusiasts. I have a lot to learn, but I can't start until I get a Nikon.

Whiskeyman

Lunatic,

Welcome to the site. If you're 48 and almost ready to retire, you should have the funds to purchase some keen equipment. Why are you delaying getting a decent camera? You should be able to start now.

And not to be argumentative, but you can learn a lot about photography before you get a Nikon. Whatever camera you get, even a point-and-shoot, it will be a tool for you to use. How well you use it is up to you.

Good luck, and I hope to see many great photos posted by you in the future.

WM

Retro

I have one question. I'm asking here because another post is pending, which I can't find. The site logs me out while I'm typing.

If you wanted an FM10, or an F6, but didn't want film, which digital body would you buy?

Would a DF function as well in this respect as a D810, or similar high-end/pro camera body?

Aside from spending $2,700 on a DF, which body would you buy?

hrstrat57

Welcome!

Pick up a mint used D300 and some AF D Nikon glass!

that's where I started my Nikon comeback after a 30 year detour to Minolta/Sony A mount.

my feet are nicely wet now!!

Retro

Welcome!

Pick up a mint used D300 and some AF D Nikon glass!

that's where I started my Nikon comeback after a 30 year detour to Minolta/Sony A mount.

my feet are nicely wet now!!

I'm seriously considering that body! A friend recommended the D300s, because of the SD and CF slots.

hrstrat57

I'm seriously considering that body! A friend recommended the D300s, because of the SD and CF slots.

Your friend is wise!! I will upgrade to a 300s soon for that reason unless the D400 comes out!

The D 300 is the most intuitive piece of kit I have ever used in 50 years of taking pics.

for a person with an extensive film background it will be the perfect choice IMHO ! It is a very SLR like DSLR !

the D700 is virtually identical making for a smooth back and forth, exactly what I wanted!!!

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I have one question. I'm asking here because another post is pending, which I can't find. The site logs me out while I'm typing.

If you wanted an FM10, or an F6, but didn't want film, which digital body would you buy?

Would a DF function as well in this respect as a D810, or similar high-end/pro camera body?

Aside from spending $2,700 on a DF, which body would you buy?

Spend some time in digi-research.

With a budget of $2,700 you can get a very nice set up but if that is total budget don't spend it all on a body.

Several decisions to be made.

Given you are asking here seems you've decided on Nikon - good choice. (Slight bias here)

Next Full Frame or Crop Frame - google that, there is lots and lots of opinion on that topic. Basically how big of a digital sensor do you want. Professional's have tended to go full frame but many also shoot some crop frame depending on the situation. Wildlife people seems to love cropped frames. Budget minded people appreciate the lower cost of ownership - body and lenses are less expensive. There are many considerations. Wrap you head around that question first.

Keep in mind this is for your FIRST camera. Retired or not many of us end up with more than one Nikon SLR. I started crop frame and last year added a full frame D610 to my collection.

Get good GLASS - it does not have to be new, just good. There are some of us that like to get 'vintage' or 'legacy' lenses, basically older used lenses that still take great images for a fraction of the cost. (Still not 'cheap' in my books as they are still at least $100 and many hundreds of dollars. It is said that camera bodies come and go, wear out, get out dated, but good glass is forever. (well maybe 40 to 60 years, which at 48 means forever for your purposes).

Retire at 48 - we are all dripping with envy. I'm 60 and thinking about it. (I have crossed over that magical 'full pension now available' line in the sand, just need a job to support my hobbies.

There are many good youtubes out there offering camera buyers advice, some of it is even good. I watched several as I debated the D7100 vs D610 choice I made last May. There is now a D750 to consider, Nikon's latest offering.

But since you asked let me offer two scenerio's.

Given you will want funds for glass I'd choose either the D7100 which is a great camera. You probably will want the kit lens that comes with it as they usually give a great discount when you buy together. For sure get a 50mm prime (or 35mm prime).

If you go for the DF or D810 you will not have much left for glass, flash, tripod and bag. (Minimum accessory package) If after looking into the full frame vs cropped frame debate you want to go FF, then the D610 or D750 would be my recommendations - but then you will need to be more careful about your lens selection and consider used lenses to stretch what remains of your budget.

Get a flash: An SB-700 ($300ish), or other flash, for a first flash the SB-700 is good, many like the chinese Yongnuo flashes - about half price and apparently as good. I use Metz flashes and like them.

Get a nice tripod. Don't break the bank but don't buy the cheap discount store version. Get a nice one from a camera shop - expect to pay $200 plus. The $50 department store ones are for small point and shoots.

And a camera bag of some sort - yes they are expensive for what can look like a backpack but they are different. Many options there but $80-$280 depending on size and features. Camera bags are like rabbits in my house they seem to multiply if left alone.

And do get that second battery, good second brand's are OK but beware there are counterfeits that are not good. Going Nikon will cost you double but you do need a second battery. I like Wasabi batteries - half the $95 they want for Nikon's in Canada but Nikon USA sells their batteries for half what we pay here. Not sure what's up with that.

IF the $2,700 you mentioned is just the body and you have another $2,700 for lenses and other needed stuff, then the D750 or D810 can be considered. Unless you want to use really old lenses and have a vintage look fetish I'm not sure why people pay that much for the DF. And it has no video. But it does look cool.

Good luck with your new adventures.

Retro

I've compared the D7100 and D300s on Nikon's site. The D7100 is $1,264 with an 18mm - 140mm Nikkor, and a new D300s is $1,500, minimum.

The only major differences I could see are 24MP and 12MP, respectively, and the D300s has the CF and SD slots, where the D7100 has two SD slots.

I figure Nikon would not be going this way with memory if you guys didn't like it. They wouldn't be that stupid, would they? I don't know enough about photography to say CF is better. I do know enough about memory to insist on two slots, and to record to both, either for the same exposures, or for different locations or whatever. Flash memory dies occasionally. You need backups.

I hate to say this, because I would love a D750, but I think the D7100 is the right body for me. It's the right price, and I can't see myself frustrated by its limitations in the next few years. I can reasonably expect that the money will be there for a better one when that time comes, and I won't regret my time with the D7100. I think there's enough headroom there.

Considering that the price for a good used D300s is about $750+, the D7100 is a better choice.

There isn't always an answer to this, but I would like to know, what is the direct descendant of the D300?

Before digital, my choice Nikon was an F90. I always tend to choose the low end pro model as my preference. I'm not sure what the 'F90' is in today's digital line up. But like I said, these linear progressions are not always followed by manufacturers.

Retro

And one thing that sways me is that several of you have the D7100. I know many of you would start off with a lesser body, if you were in my position, and I want to make a reasonable choice.

Fortkentdad

And one thing that sways me is that several of you have the D7100. I know many of you would start off with a lesser body, if you were in my position, and I want to make a reasonable choice.

I have neither a D300 or D7100 but did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on my D610. But I already had a crop framed D5100. It was a very tough call. I looked at other options including the D300 and D700 before concluding that the way to go was with current technology. Old, vintage, legacy glass is great but the technology in the body does change.

The D7100 is a very good choice. Significant advances over the D300 came out in 2007, the D7100 in 2013, there were many improvements in the technology during this time in the world of digital imaging.

See: Nikon DSLR Chronological History Dates | Post Comments for a pictoral history of Nikon cameras with brief descriptions.

As for digital storage. That too has changed. the SD card is the one to use today, advances in storage technology are being applied to SD. Two SD cards are interchangeable and you can easily find them. I love having two SD's on my D610 - the redundancy is wonderful. You can get very fast SD cards which when plugged into a USB 3.0 connection to your PC will transfer hundreds of images quickly to your computer for post processing in your software of choice. Fast SD cards keep up with the fast FPS of the video and when you shoot quick series of photographs.

jay_dean

If you were looking at full frame, the D700 is well worth a look. They're a steal at their current second hand price, and will free up more to spend on lenses. Welcome along..

Retro

Thank you for your comments! You have confirmed some suspicions of mine, and made my decision process much easier. I was afraid that I may not be able to buy a camera in the next month or so, because of my expensive taste, but the D7100 is affordable.

I know that many serious photographers buy a second, cheaper, body as a backup or to use with a main body in a shoot. When I buy an 810 one day (for example), the D7100 will be a welcome backup. Many of you use a D5300 as a backup.

Whiskeyman

Thank you for your comments! You have confirmed some suspicions of mine, and made my decision process much easier. I was afraid that I may not be able to buy a camera in the next month or so, because of my expensive taste, but the D7100 is affordable.

I know that many serious photographers buy a second, cheaper, body as a backup or to use with a main body in a shoot. When I buy an 810 one day (for example), the D7100 will be a welcome backup. Many of you use a D5300 as a backup.

I would never argue with getting a D7100. That will allow you to get some good glass as well, with your budget. The one specific piece of advice that I have is to know what you want to do photographically as you start. Even with a camera decided upon, it still makes a difference in what lenses you'll want/need. I'm on my third digital camera, and would go to the fourth if my budget allowed, but my lenses are purchased for the long haul. Good glass lasts!!!

WM