Using an old SLR lens with a D3300

NEW2NIKON

I recently got a D3300. I love the camera and it takes great pictures with my AF-S 70-300mm lens. I still have some old SLR lenses and am wondering if the D3300 camera will take pictures with one of the old lenses with a Nikon compatible T-Mount?? I mounted the lens but the camera display indicates "No Lens Attached". So I am guessing the old lenses will not work but I thought I would seek the advise of experts.

If the lens does not not work, what AF-S tele-converter (1.4X, 1.7X. or 2.0X) would work well with the 70-300mm lens?

Thanks,

Rich

Bob Blaylock

Nearly any F-mount lens should fit your D3300, and work just fine, albeit with some obvious and expected limitations. Even non-AI lenses, which Nikon claims cannot be used with this camera, actually can (at least that's the case with my D3200, and I have no reason to expect that it's any different with the D3300). See the signature block at the bottom of this posting.

You do need to set your camera to “M” mode. The only lenses that work in anything other than “M” mode are CPU lenses—those that have built-in electronics which communicate with the camera. The camera looks for this communication with the lens, and in any mode other than “M”, if it doesn't see it, it will claim that there is no lens, and will not work.

Last edited:

J-see

Like Bob said, if the lens fits and you can control aperture on the lens, you can shoot it in manual. In manual you should be able to attach a can of beer to the cam.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lenses should work with your camera if you use manual (M) mode and use an external light meter or guess the exposure (trial and error works fine with digital). The part that probably would NOT work is the use of a tele-converter with the 70-300. You have to be extra careful since tele-converters (TCs) have a protruding glass in front that could grind the back of your zoom lens. This is one point. The second, is that since you loose a lot of light with TCs and your lens is already at 5.6 when in the 300 mm position, you'd end up with a maximum aperture of f-9 or 11 depending on the TC. With that aperture, the camera's auto-focus will not be able to operate to standards.
It's also a common misconception with beginners that one needs a 1000 mm lens to be able to take pictures, and nothing is farther from the truth. Use the lenses you have and enjoy them. If you want to photograph birds in flight, you're in for an expensive outing if you want top notch quality pictures.

Enjoy your Nikon.