Newbie Light Metering Issue

truckcamper

My experience level is quite low. I have an entry level D3000 that for the past year has shot very dark pictures. I have to "brighten" all sorts of shots from landscape to macro about 10 stops. Basically, I have to "wing it" on a first shop from experience, and adjust from there.

Is this a sign that my camera's sensor is about finished? I have used my camera for three years, thousands of pictures a year is the roughest of estimates.

I just purchased my dream wildlife lens. It works great, but again, the metering is just wrong. "On target" looking at a snowy landscape out the window shows up very dark, like evening, I can get a good shot opening the aperture, or adjusting from 1/125 to 1/30, to give an example of just how "off" the sensor is.

The D3000 does not give feedback on the screen before taking a shot, FYI. My druther is to get more proficient before upgrading the camera, but I have a low light birding trip in the near future.

Lawrence

I don't have this model so am answering in the dark.
10 Stops is a LOT.
Have you checked your shutter count to verify how old the sensor is?

Post a photo with the exif data.

Also check to make sure you haven't accidentally changed the over/under exposure button. I have worked on two different people's cameras recently that had exposure problems just like you are explaining. The first one was set to -5 and the second was set the +3. Both people were ready to throw the cameras away since they were both old cameras. Once I set it back to o they were both happy.

WayneF

10 stops is not even imaginable. :)

Yeah, we need much more information about your procedure. We need to know what you are specifically doing? Camera mode?

"On target" looking at a snowy landscape out the window shows up very dark, like evening, I can get a good shot opening the aperture, or adjusting from 1/125 to 1/30, to give an example of just how "off" the sensor is.

A snowy landscape in bright sun probably ought to be around f/16 1/200 second ISO 100. The auto camera modes know what to do.

You said through window, and if the meter sees appreciable indoor dark frame area, it will likely overexpose the snow scene.

Like Don said, make sure you know what your exposure compensation says.

But without being told more, we know nothing about the situation, or what you are doing.

Last edited:

truckcamper

Thanks, my problem wasn't nearly so sophisticated. -5.0 for exposure compensation. I've learned this board is my prime location to learn things. Thanks for your time.