Best Aperture for Models Using the 50mm 1.8d?

Lautermilch

I shoot in south Florida so most of the time I can get all the light I want.

For those that have this lens and do portraits/models is there a 'best' aperture?

Horoscope Fish

I wouldn't really want to shoot models with a 50mm because that focal length wouldn't provide good compression. That being said, for models and portraits I shoot around f/4, generally speaking, and a lot of conditions or considerations can change that decision. I don't try to reduce photography to a series of "recipes" like that. You go with what works, with what gives you the shot you want under the circumstances you have.

Lautermilch

I wouldn't really want to shoot models with a 50mm because that focal length wouldn't provide good compression. That being said, for models and portraits I shoot around f/4, generally speaking, and a lot of conditions or considerations can change that decision. I don't try to reduce photography to a series of "recipes" like that. You go with what works, with what gives you the shot you want under the circumstances you have.

When I have the money I do want to get the 85mm 2.8.
I did spend some time this morning in Adobe Bridge and using the filter on a few different model raw file collections I found I was getting better results at 5.6 than 4.0 with the distance I use from the models.

I work with newbies and have learned to 'train' them not to move until I give the signal as I use many apertures for the same shot.

Kroontje

On a DX Camera you can use it for portrait shoot. It's than a nice lens to use ;)
About the aperture..take a f/4 if you take without any studio lights.
If you're using studio lights than you can take about f/8 to f/11. Then the background is nice.
But for model shoot....please take a other lens if you can. It not bad to use...but don liked it for model-shoot ;)
Personally i use the 24-70 f/2.8

Gr Kroontje

J-see

I don't know what cam you use but on mine, the center becomes sharp once I hit f/2.8 and the corners catch up when I close down around f/5.6.

Lautermilch

I don't know what cam you use but on mine, the center becomes sharp once I hit f/2.8 and the corners catch up when I close down around f/5.6.

I am using Bridge and Lightroom to view the different apertures and do agree that 2.8 does stand out just a bit more.

Pretzel

I don't shoot models, per-say, but I do a lot of portrait sessions on the side. Wide-open for faces or head/shoulder shots tends to blur out features here and there, so I usually go anywhere from f2.8-f4. For full body shots, you can sometimes go down to 1.8 for isolation, but even then I usually don't drop below 2.8. The further back I am, the lower f-stop I choose to keep the isolation.

I wouldn't go above f4 unless you really want a lot of the background in focus too, which will often detract from your "model".

My .02 as a semi-pro "hack".