No Flash to attract attention

TexasGeek

Hey all, I'm needing help. I have a D3300 and I was in a church taking pictures as my parents renewed their wedding vows after 50 years. No biggie right? I turned off the flash and started shooting away...until I realized that a red light was beaming onto the priest before I took each picture! I love the way they came out but I didn't realize I was attracting attention.
1. Why? and 2.How do I truly turn off flash and not attract attention with this little red beam?? I can't find anything called Museum mode, so how do I get Museum mode manually on the D3300?

J-see

If it's the AF-Assist Illuminator, that's in the shooting menu. The beeping is in the set-up and if I remember well, the flash can be disabled somewhere too but I don't remember if that's for all modes.

Scott Murray

Hey all, I'm needing help. I have a D3300 and I was in a church taking pictures as my parents renewed their wedding vows after 50 years. No biggie right? I turned off the flash and started shooting away...until I realized that a red light was beaming onto the priest before I took each picture! I love the way they came out but I didn't realize I was attracting attention.
1. Why? and 2.How do I truly turn off flash and not attract attention with this little red beam?? I can't find anything called Museum mode, so how do I get Museum mode manually on the D3300?
You really need to read the manual at how to turn off 'Focus Assist' in shooting menu as mentioned by Don.

[SIZE=+2]How to get to the SHOOTING Menu[/SIZE]
Press MENU, click left and then up and down to select the camera (shooting) menu. You'll see "SHOOTING MENU" on the top of the LCD monitor.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+3]Built-in AF-Assist illuminator[/SIZE] [/FONT]
This sets whether or not the little light in the D3300 comes on in the dark to help you focus.

Turn this off and it will fix your light issue.