ND filter for Sigma 10-20mm lens? (Nikon)

DMcL

Hi good people.

I want a good quality filter that allows me to take long exposures during daylight. Any recommendations?

(I can post more details if required)

Much appreciated.

Horoscope Fish

I use Hoya filters pretty much exclusively. CPL, ND... All of them are Hoya. You can spend more, you can spend less but Hoya seems to hit the sweet spot. The "HD" line I like in particular because the glass is this line of filters *significantly* tougher than most and they clean so easily it's shocking.

I use their 2 & 3 stop filters personally, but if you want the big 9-stop ND filter I suggest the Hoya NDx400 HMC.

Last edited:

DMcL

I am edging more towards a 'screw on' filter, with a higher stop. If I was to get a 7+ stop is there a danger of vignetting? Thanks for your replies I will research them both.

Fred Kingston

Just so you're aware... with the Cokin set, you can stack 3 separate filters on the ring... so by selecting different combinations, you can create variable amounts of density... 2,4,6,8,10,12,and 14 with no vignetting...

If you want vignetting... simply adjusting and turning the filter using a graduated ND... you can create density where you want it...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am edging more towards a 'screw on' filter, with a higher stop. If I was to get a 7+ stop is there a danger of vignetting? Thanks for your replies I will research them both.

The intensity of a ND filter has nothing to do with vignetting. Vignetting occurs when the outside edges of a filter show up in your photo so it has to do with the design of the filter. Wide angle lenses suffer from vignetting when filters are used so you want to look for filters that are a slim profile. The frame of the filter isn't as thick when measuring its depth from front to back.

The other alternative is to buy a filter size that is larger than what your lens takes and use a step up ring. That will help alleviate any vignetting; however, the down side is most times you won't be able to use a hood on the lens.

Here is a thin Hoya 6-stop ND filter for a 77mm lens which is a slim profile design. I own this in the 82mm size. Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Digital Neutral Density 64x Filter XD77ND64 B&H

donegalphotographer

I currently use a lee foundation kit and a haida 10stop nd as well as there 6stop nd and there top quality, and quite a bit cheaper than lee filters, i use them as I'm a professional landscape photographer but if it's occasional use I'd go with hoya like horoscope fish said, if you believe you will get into landscape photography I'd invest in a 100mm filter system :)

DMcL

I currently use a lee foundation kit and a haida 10stop nd as well as there 6stop nd and there top quality, and quite a bit cheaper than lee filters, i use them as I'm a professional landscape photographer but if it's occasional use I'd go with hoya like horoscope fish said, if you believe you will get into landscape photography I'd invest in a 100mm filter system :)

Thanks for your reply, landscapes are definitely where my greatest interest lies. That is where I would love to improve on the quality of images the most. The Lee foundation kit is for holding the filters is that correct? Can said holder then accommodate any make of ND filter? Do you experience any vignetting issues with your set up? Lastly, you said 100mm but my lens is 77mm, I am no doubt being daft but would it still fit :)

Sorry for all the questions.

donegalphotographer

Thanks for your reply, landscapes are definitely where my greatest interest lies. That is where I would love to improve on the quality of images the most. The Lee foundation kit is for holding the filters is that correct? Can said holder then accommodate any make of ND filter? Do you experience any vignetting issues with your set up? Lastly, you said 100mm but my lens is 77mm, I am no doubt being daft but would it still fit :)

Sorry for all the questions.
No problem I'm here to help as much as possible, the lee foundation kit is for holding filters and the holder can hold any type of filter subject to it being 100mm width, no vignetting as I use a ultra wide angle adapter, you need different adapter ring for each of your lenses, if you pm me what lenses you have I can get a list of the basics and then you chose filters etc basics of the filter system is as follows

Camera>lens>adapter ring>foundation kit>filter

Hope that makes it clearer

Only slight niggle is that you will need a 105mm polariser