Teleconverter

nepsa

I have a plan Land and Sea trip to Alaska this summer. I plan to put the 70-200 2.8 VR II on the 7100 and my 18-140 0n the the 5000 for the wife. It is during the Salmon run, so there should be lots of roaming animal and birds feasting. I am considering a Teleconverter for the 70-200 for game. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Whiskeyman

Nikon's 1.4 or 1.7 would be my first suggestions.

I agree with this, but would add to ensure you get the latest version of the Nikon TCs when you get one. And always check the compatability of your lens/lenses with the TC on Nikon's website.

Furthermore, if you're purchasing from a location that will allow you to do so, take your camera and lens and try it out in the store and then take the images home and view them on your computer before you purchase it.

WM

480sparky

I agree with this, but would add to ensure you get the latest version of the Nikon TCs when you get one.........

I dunno. If the Version III of the 1.4 TC is 10 on a scale of 1-10, I'm sure the Version II would be 9.8 or 9.9. And even if it's 9.5, would you be able to see the difference?

hrstrat57

Last I checked 1.4 converters were avail at fair price on Nikon USA refurbs......

I am planning to buy a 1.4 to go with a 300 AF-S F/4 tele soon. I would not consider the 1.7 due to further loss of glass speed.

I recall Moose Peterson as having an extensive discussion on his web site re Nikkor TC's...gotta run now, no time to linky.

Whiskeyman

I dunno. If the Version III of the 1.4 TC is 10 on a scale of 1-10, I'm sure the Version II would be 9.8 or 9.9. And even if it's 9.5, would you be able to see the difference?

With some lenses and some uses, yes. One of the factors that also comes into play is focusing speed. When I purchased my 2.0, I tried two versions, and one of them hunted noticeably more than the other.

I believe that you can get good copies of each version, but the chances of getting a good performer increases with the latter versions.

As far as which to get, either the 1.4 or the 1.7, the 70-200 2.8 AF-s can handle either one of them. You'll likely want more reach, so if it were me, I'd get the 1.7.

Have you looked at what lenses you can get for the price of the TC? That could also be an option for you.

That's about $0.02 worth, don't you think?

WM

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I use a TC-1.4 with my 70-200 f2.8 on occasion and that takes it up to a 280mm f4 equivilant. I would rather have that and shoot at a lower ISO (less noise) and crop the image. The lens still retains very fast focus which to me is also quite important, can't speak to the 1.7, don't have one.