AF-C focus method

wickerman999

Hi all,

I am very new to Nikon's having crossed over to the dark side(from Canon) last week.

I just wondered how many people use the 9 point, 39 point or even 3D focus method instead of the single DIY method?

Most of my pictures are of my 4year old boy running around and kind of portrait photos (when I can get him to stay still).
As I am still very much getting used to the D610, I just wanted to get your views...

Cheers

J-see

Hi all,

I am very new to Nikon's having crossed over to the dark side(from Canon) last week.

I just wondered how many people use the 9 point, 39 point or even 3D focus method instead of the single DIY method?

Most of my pictures are of my 4year old boy running around and kind of portrait photos (when I can get him to stay still).
As I am still very much getting used to the D610, I just wanted to get your views...

Cheers

I'm using the D750 but it's about the same.

I either use AF-C d9 or single point. When it is fast moving d9 works best for me, unless the subject is big enough. When it's not moving or slow moving, single point is best since it is easiest to control. For more points or 3D I not yet discovered any practical use.

I'm using it for birds in flight but I suppose your toddler doesn't move at such a speed you'd need more than the single point.

Horoscope Fish

Hi all,

For subjects that only move a little, or do so slowly, I use Single Point or D9. The faster, more erratically they move the bigger the array, D21 and up. I've never used 3D Tracking so I can't really comment on it.

You might want to consider using Back Button Focus in conjunction with AF-C on your D610; it's a very popular combination that might work well for you. The article recommends using "Release" priority but I suggest using "Focus" priority instead to cut down on the number of out of focus shots you'll get.

Last edited:

nzswift

3D tracking works well with moving subjects when there is a clear color difference between to subject and the background...