Canon's 50 MP Camera

TedG954

Nikon better pick up the pace.

Sleeping-On-The-Job.jpg

torthar.jpg

TedG954

Until I master my 24 mp's, I can't really be bothered.

I am convinced that, at least for us mear mortals, that lenses are faarrrrr more important than MP.

I can not tell the diffence in quality from my 24MP FF and my 36MP FF.

Moving from a D600, D750, or even a D7100, to a D800 series will not improve someone's photography.

Now, of course, that is my sole opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree. I believe you should buy whatevere floats your personal boat.

opinions.jpg
This is not my photograph, 24 or 36 megapixels.

Horoscope Fish

Okay, so what do have here? Well, it's full-frame, shoots 5/fps continuous, has an OLPF (though there is a variant without it), Native ISO to 6400 and x1.3/x1.6 crop modes... And of course 50MP.

50MP. Right.

Okay... I get that.

That's it? THAT'S the Big Reveal? 50MP? ... Really?

*yawn*

rocketman122

it depends who you ask about MP. for weddings 12mp D3/D3s does full page double page spreads. 16mp is better should you need to crop but 20mp is more than enough for almost anyone, even in rare situations you might print. only those who go to print huge sizes would need a large MP and even though those are rare cases. a lot of hobbyists amateurs enthusiasts shoot like crazy in raw, save tons of pics for no reason imo. I wanna save it JIC, is the excuse.
we dont even shoot raw for weddings. jpg L fine is more than fine.

rocketman122

Id take high iso over MP anyday anytime. 6400 is nothing. and no 4k.

nikon will have one soon too I think. after sony releases one. Im waiting for the a7sII with built in stabilization then im in.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This week I was talking with a client that is a photographer. She just had sold a 3 feet x 6 feet print. When I asked which camera was used to take the shot she said D300. There are many ways to improve definition and enlarge when you need to. But in real life, except for commercial bill board photographers, 12, 16, 24, 36 MPs are quite enough. When you go above that, it's the lenses that will not be able to follow the sharpness.

Oh, I was forgetting, a picture is not all about how sharp it is, neither about which camera it was taken with, it's about the image itself and the light and composition that made it, and the photographer that was there who saw the picture an instant before he took it.

Again, just my opinion.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Personally, I would like a camera that gives you a drop down menu option or a button that lets you choose what MP you want to use (that is if it's over 24 MP's. I think that would be a great bonus....so you don't have t waste disk space if you don't need to.

PapaST

I'm kind of building off what Marcel just said. Some things I've been hearing about lenses vs. MP and I don't quite understand. I'll either hear or read about a higher MP camera (like a 24MP crop frame or 36MP full frame) and I see the comment that "you'll need today's lens" to take advantage of the high MPs. Is that because older lenses aren't as sharp? Or because "today's lenses" are more optimized for higher MPs somehow? I never quite understood that. I guess older lenses are inherently less sharp (since you would assume every lens manufacturer strives to make sharper lenses) but I know there are some really sharp old ones. So is it because they lack some kind of lens coating? Or something?

Scott Murray

Just remember the extra processing power and storage you will need for this. I am struggling with the D800E and I find that if i increase shadow detail and crop I loose the ability to enlarge. So it is not all win win.

Panza

Dual processor, and super usb for that data huh? It looks cool. Nikon has 2 years to one up them. The cycle continues. Mirrorless race in the meanwhile.