What Is A Waterfowl Impoundment Area?

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I have seen several of the areas and they generally use dirt roads to get to them. Does anyone have any idea what they are? What the uses are for them? I am hoping I could get some pictures at one of them.

Horoscope Fish

I have seen several of the areas and they generally use dirt roads to get to them. Does anyone have any idea what they are? What the uses are for them? I am hoping I could get some pictures at one of them.
Those are areas of water containment, typically for conservation efforts, though the water can be "impounded" for any number of reasons, really. A common use is to create Safe Zones for waterfowl to nest and rear brood and such.

TedG954

Waterfowl Impounds are getting pretty popular.

The problem is that, ducks particularly, fail to pay parking tickets and the various cities are having to tow ducks as a result.

The ducks are stored in a fenced-in area called a "compound".

Buffalo used to have the same problem with buffalos, hence the name, but regular impoundment seems to have cured the problem.

Let's hope the ducks will learn their lesson.

auto_impound copy.jpg

Last edited:

Lawrence

I learn something new at Nikonites every day.

I thought it was some kind of illegal tactic they used in interrogations at Guantanamo (water foul impoundment)

Sucks to live in ignorance - so thanks Nikonitians.

Camera Fun

So do you call a tow-truck or a tow-duck when they run 'afowl' of the law?

On the serious side, an area for waterfowl will typically consist of shallower water than a pond/lake. The water level may be raised/lowered throughout the year as needed to meet any habitat (food, nesting, shelter) needs for a variety of species. An area could be private or owned/managed by a government entity (local, state, or federal).

Stoshowicz

Yes they DO look smug! First they are left at city parks illegally , and for being parked like that , they wind up with 'three hots and a cot' !