Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter

Has anyone used the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter with a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED ?
I really would like some extra length with that lens but really don't want to invest in a longer lens right now?

Scott Murray

I think that is the one that I have, although not used with the 70-300 I did use it with the 80-400 with some good results in bright sunlight.

Just ordered it. Saw a number of reviews online and the majority of them were very positive. That will carry me to a 420mm lens which is probably enough to get better bird photos.

Ironwood

Has anyone used the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter with a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED ?
I really would like some extra length with that lens but really don't want to invest in a longer lens right now?

Don, I have that TC and that lens. I tried the TC on the 70-300 a few times and wasn't very happy with the results.
I took shots with and without the TC, I found the shots taken with the lens only, and cropped to give the same FOV looked better.

I have read where some people are happy with the results they get with that combo, but my attempts failed to excite me.

Though I also couldn't get shots that I was happy with using it with my Nikon 105 f2.8, and I have seen good shots that other people have taken with that combo, so it could be just me, or maybe my copy of the Kenko 1.4 is below par.

I have thought about selling it, but the prices I have seen them go for on Ebay, I may as well just keep it in the drawer. One day I might try it again.

Ironwood

Just ordered it. Saw a number of reviews online and the majority of them were very positive. That will carry me to a 420mm lens which is probably enough to get better bird photos.

Ooops, I see you bought it while I was typing my reply. Watching with interest to see if your results can inspire me to try mine again.

Well the lens is not that expensive so I think it is worth the risk. I have seen some very nice photos shot with it in looking online tonight. It iw supposed to get here Friday so I will be shooting some with it this weekend it the weather is nice.

480sparky

If you want to know what the FOV will be, just shoot with your D7100 in crop mode. That will be slightly wider than shooting in normal with the TC.

If you want to know what the FOV will be, just shoot with your D7100 in crop mode. That will be slightly wider than shooting in normal with the TC.

I know about what it will be. I just don't like losing the pixels. What got me thinking about it today was when I was out shooting today I was by a river and there were hundreds of birds flying and fishing and I could not get close enough to get a decent photo.

480sparky

I know about what it will be. I just don't like losing the pixels. What got me thinking about it today was when I was out shooting today I was by a river and there were hundreds of birds flying and fishing and I could not get close enough to get a decent photo.

I didn't say shoot in crop mode.... just use it to judge the FOV you'll get with the TC.

Lawrence

I have the Kenko-Tokina N-AFs 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 - not sure if that is the same thing.
And I have used it on the 70-300 and also not overly impressed.
However at this point I think it is my technique rather than the equipment that I am unhappy with.
I'll be very interested to hear your views Don as you are one of those with very steady hands.

hrstrat57

Looking at this exact TC for both my Nikkor 70-300 VR and 80-200 AF ED F/2.8....

Could folks especially the OP post some pics in this thread please for analysis of the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x please?

BeerBelly

I have the older DG version of this TC. The difference being that my version doesn't report the correct focal length and aperture to the body. Anyhow...here is the comparison I made using my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC USD with and without the TC.

tc720tests.jpg

Here is the link to the full image in case the forum does some converting: http://www.bobr.si/fotke/tc720tests.png

J-see

I shaved the Nikon TC20 and used it with the 70-300mm but it did hunt AF at the longer part and I had to focus manually. It did cost me quite some light and I had to close down more to get sharp shots but even within those limitation, it was usable. The shots with the Nikon TC weren't bad at all. At least not for such a combination.

A TC14 will most likely do a much better job.

I have both here so if you want to see some shots at certain mm/f I can always shoot a couple.

Last edited: