Im Alan, and i will become a pro photgrapher

Alansin

Haha im Alan, ive always loved the sound of a SLR taking a photo, so i stepped up from a Sony HX20V Cam (really good, point and shoot super zoom, gps)
to a Nikon D-7000 with a 18-140 mm kit lens and a SB-300 Flash ( all included on a bundle )
i also bought a 50mm f/1.8 D because apparently im a "bokeh whore" hahaha and ive read so many things about the "nifty-fifty"

Bokeh!!!

Im getting married in 3 months, and we have plans for moving to Lyon, France. Im an architect, i do Rendering, and all that, but maybe i will not be able to work in france as an architect. so i thought of becoming a photographer, or at least get as good as i can, and try to earn a extra income this way.

I have 3 weeks with the camera and i love it, i already went throught the manual like 2.5 times and i think i understand my camera very well. ive watched tons of B and H, FroKnowsPhoto and DigitalRev TV, ( im loving this guys, haha )

I think this kit lens ruined my life, because it has a very good range, and buying another one seems like a overlap in ranges... i dont know whats the next step, but i think im going to settle for a while until i figure out what i need. (But DAMN! That rokinon / Samayang 8mm Seems pretty sweet! )

Thanks for the site, threads, comments, and all the feedback!!

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

Howdy Alan and welcome to Nikonites!

That D7000 is a great combo and great matchup with the 18-140mm lens. I haven't used that particular SpeedLight, but sounds like you're off to a good start!

SkvLTD

All I can say is - really master one or two areas of this craft you really like, and then try to market your results. Think architecture school, though perhaps half as long but just as hard. Best of luck and feed off of our knowledge here as much as you can handle!

Blade Canyon

Youtube is a fantastic source of photo knowledge, and B&H Photo really puts out some great tutorials. (For people pics, the Jerry Ghionis videos are the best. I don't know about landscape/architecture pics.) DigitalrevTV is funny, but really only teaches you how to talk about photography, not actually do it. FroKnows wastes a lot of time getting hung up on personal issues, like his beef with Ken Rockwell about RAW v. jpeg. (Even though Fro is right, watching a one hour Youtube about it is a total waste of time if you're trying to learn how to shoot.)

For good Photoshop tutorials, I recommend PHLearn.

Welcome to the phorum, and send us some pics from Lyon!

Alansin

Thank you all!

I didnt want to sound too cocky with the " i will become a pro", but who doesnt ?

im reading tons of posts here, seems a nice community :)

Alansin

Oh yeah you nailed it, Jared Polin gets hung up a lot in personal stuff, like i already know all about his mom, and the thing vs ken rockwell...
but as far as entreteiment, i find it pretty cool to know how other people started to take photos and became photographers.

What others do you recomend?
i "know" Matt Granger, Toby something, (blond, lots of reviews) Gary Fong, Jeff Cable...

For general knowledge i guess all i know (and like the best) its B and H, beacause other people upload dedicated tutorials for making a specific thing...

Blade Canyon

The Jeff Cable videos at B&H are good, though he comes over a little arrogant for someone who shoots primarily barmitzvahs, but then he was also hired to shoot the USA Swim Team at the Olympics in China, so he must be really good. He talks a lot about his process after shooting and uses programs that nobody here has ever mentioned. He has a really good video about on-camera flash, which will help you get up to speed on your speedlight.

There is another guy from B&H who's vid is something like "One Speedlight, Multiple Looks" that's really good, but it's more a tutorial on indoor posed portrait photography using light stands and reflectors.

I love the B&H videos so much I went to their store over July 4th weekend in Manhattan. I asked about the "Event Space", and they introduced me to the guy who produces the videos. The space where those are filmed is much smaller than it looks on the videos. On screen, it looks like a small auditorium, but in person it's just a flat rectangular room with only five or six rows of chairs.

Rick M

For 5 easy payments of only $39.95 plus shipping and handling I'll send you my amazing video which will have you clicking like a pro in minutes! I'm so confident you'll love my video that I'll refund your payment if not fully satisfied (less the $199 shipping and handling fee).

Welcome to the site :), we are all pros at something here!