Hello! New Guy- D3300 Wanting any Beginner's Links to getting out of Auto asap!

Kevin67

Just a quick hello as everyone is busy developing their skills - as I am.

I'm interested in photo and video work with my new Nikon D3300 - with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens.

I am presently going through YouTube to develop my skills as quick as and getting out of Auto asap!

No need to reply "Hello" as I have seen the very warm welcome you give so freely but I would appreciate any links on the beginnners guide on getting out of Auto just in case I've missed a gem somewhere!

I will also be trawling through this forum to pick up some gems left around for beginners like me!

All I need is a tip in the right direction and then I can spend the time picking up my skills - I'm a heavy/intense learner as in I soak up information and skills.

Very many thanks and see you around these parts!

Kevin

Last edited:

jay_dean

Its good that you're trying to get out of Auto. Thats the first hurdle. The YouTube and other internet stuff can be a good and instant way to learn. I quite like Jared Polin, and Matt Granger/That Nikon Guy. Sometimes my mind runs at 3,000 mph, and reading just wont do, i need that instant 'fix'. I'll read more in the evening. As for books etc, i used to read those Magic Lantern ones. Others i'm sure will have more to say on that. Just be selective about what you read online, remember, EVERYONE has an opinion, and some are quite passionate about them, whereas others will vehemently disagree. You don't have to go far to see that. Welcome along..

Kevin67

Super! Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll trot off to your links now, thanks - and also around these parts.

I have put "thanks" to some posts to show members that their efforts in replying also helps newbies like me and so their reply is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks!

Kevin

Carroll

When your cam is set on "Auto", remember the settings you see in your viewfinder, and use them as a starting point in manual, for instance, and experiment from there. Use a note pad to remember and learn. Look at the EXIF on images on this site and see what was good or bad. Also, you will not believe the great information in the Camera Manual...(not trying to be a smart@$$ here).

There is nothing wrong with using Auto. It works fine.

Your actual practice with the cam and settings will more important than what anyone (including me) will tell you.

Opinion # 8,976 - Worth what you paid for it.

Kevin67

I am very deeply indebted to you all.

I will go through each of the links and learn what each has to say and get out there and do it.

Then I'll post my efforts here.

Many, many thanks again guys.

J-see

When I got my D3300 I started using the A and S mode depending what shots. The advantage is that you can check what the cam picks as the other settings and in that, get a good idea of what it does and why. When you see those settings, you can easily switch to full manual using the same settings in that situation and start playing with it.

Nothing learns as well as experimenting. You evidently have to know the basics else you don't know what you're experimenting with.