the ropes

lucien

Hi, it's winter time here in Canada at the moment. And I have a dslr at home to play with. New user, can I play/learn everything inside the house? I mean, there are 3 modes I want to master A S P. Can these be learned and fine tuned in a fixed environment aka the lighting is fixed, and I'll be shooting the same stuff with different settings lol. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lucien, do yourself a favor and get to your local library to find a basic photography book that will explain all about the exposure triangle: Light, Aperture, Shutter speed. With a basic comprehension of this base knowledge, you'll be able to get way more out of your DSLR. Just playing with it might not make you learn the right things as fast as basic photographic knowledge.

But nothing prevents you from taking pictures in the meantime. But on the other hand, it'l always nice to be able to understand what's what and why things can go wrong in some situations.

Horoscope Fish

Hi, it's winter time here in Canada at the moment. And I have a dslr at home to play with. New user, can I play/learn everything inside the house? I mean, there are 3 modes I want to master A S P. Can these be learned and fine tuned in a fixed environment aka the lighting is fixed, and I'll be shooting the same stuff with different settings lol. I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )
Well in order to use those modes, you should understand four things: Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and how they inter-operate with one another.

Start by reading this tutorial and when you've got all that down pat, you'll be in a better position to understand what those different shooting modes (P, S, A & M) do, and when you might want to use them.

lucien

Thank you sirs, I have cheat sheets and I have been using my fuji to learn, but it's not a a nikon aka slr. Smaller sensor etc. I have taken some "good" pics with it but I don't want to post them because it's not a "nikon" I even have lightroom 5.0 I guess the gist of what I'm asking is. If I have all the tools, can I muck about in the house with all the settings? I know what the modes do and I know about f stops, but I need to get cracking. Can I do it indoors? I guess to a certain point I could

thx,

thx Marcel et al, but that's the beauty of digital. Trash and dash lol

Last edited:

nickt

You can certainly learn and practice indoors. If there is enough light to see, you can take pictures. Some shots might be high iso shots or flash shots, but its all good. You can practice learning the relationship of shutter, aperture, and iso. You can set up little demos for yourself to experiment with depth of field or bluring/freezing motion. Plenty of info online, but I like the idea mentioned of a basic photography book. Easier to flip back and forth between topics and you can take it with you to where ever you may go to enjoy your leisure time. I would get a basic book that is NOT specific to your camera to keep it simple at first. After getting the basics straight in your head, start going through your menus. See what each setting does. They should all make good sense if you took some time to learn the basic exposure principles first. Take some notes as you go through the menus of things that interest you. Change things and try them out. Learn how to reset your camera to put things back to normal so you won't ever be afraid of messing anything up.

Here is a video I like to recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc

You could try to recreate his examples indoors.