Len Hood Usage

mdinh2k

I have a wide angle lens (12-24mm DX lens) and a telezoom (55-200mm DX lens), and they both come with the hood. I tried using the hood for the wide angle before, and I noticed at anything below 15 mm, it causes vignette on the corner, so I was curious what is the use for it at all, if I even need it. For the 55-200mm, I read on Ken Rockwell's site that it's really of no use, but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts around the usage of lens hood for either lenses.

Thank you

fotojack

From personal experience, lens hoods are only good for bright, sunny days, and 90 degrees to the sun. Otherwise, you don't really need them. For instance, on a cloudy or overcast day.

Curt

I agree with Jack, but with one other point. When you are walking about the hood serves as great protection for the front of your lens, if by chance you bang into something hard. I use mine most of the time out doors, and as I said when you are walking about and want protection for your lens.

fotojack

I agree with Jack, but with one other point. When you are walking about the hood serves as great protection for the front of your lens, if by chance you bang into something hard. I use mine most of the time out doors, and as I said when you are walking about and want protection for your lens.

Very true, Curt. I did fail to mention that important point. I stand corrected. :)

goz63

Always use mine outdoors for the protection mentioned. Will keep moisture from getting on the lens as well. For the ultra wide angle you probably will want to take it off to prevent it getting in the picture and giving you the vignetting you described.

Browncoat

If my lens cap is off, a lens hood is on. No, they're not always needed but it doesn't hurt to have some extra protection for your lens at all times.

Browncoat

...I read on Ken Rockwell's site that it's really of no use...

Almost forgot...for future reference, Ken Rockwell's site is really of no use. Take Ken Rockwell as a serious photographer about as seriously as you would the moon being made of cheese.