Is this a common problem in DSLRs? Small issue during autofocus...

Rockworthy

Hi there Nikonites. I have a Nikon D5000 camera that has this odd issue. I took a video of it and put it on YouTube just now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X3SPk7PZgA&feature=youtu.be Basically the image in the viewfinder shifts ever-so-slightly left to right and back, when the camera is auto-focusing. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a Nikon D5000 thing only? Most importantly: will this issue effect the sharpness of pictures taken? Thanks for the help.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Hi there Nikonites. I have a Nikon D5000 camera that has this odd issue. I took a video of it and put it on YouTube just now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X3SPk7PZgA&feature=youtu.be Basically the image in the viewfinder shifts ever-so-slightly left to right and back, when the camera is auto-focusing. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a Nikon D5000 thing only? Most importantly: will this issue effect the sharpness of pictures taken? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum. I used to have a D5100 and never noticed that happening. What I did notice is that you're trying to focus in very low light, which may account for part of the problem. It could be totally something different. Possibly having to do with mirror slap or something along those lines. Just a guess!

J-see

It happens to me when I use the Tamron with VR on. I'm not sure if it happens when VR kicks in or during but if it is that, it shouldn't have any effect on the shot itself.

The mirror would be strange since that only flips position and shouldn't be able to move any other direction. AF isn't connected in any way to the mirror.

J-see

If you are using a lens with VR, disable it and check if it still happens. You can also try another lens and if that one does it too, it is likely the cam but it would surprise me if. I can't think of anything that would make the mirror move when you focus since there is no AF motor in yours.

Last edited:

Rockworthy

If you are using a lens with VR, disable it and check if it still happens. You can also try another lens and if that one does it too, it is likely the cam but it would surprise me if. I can't think of anything that would make the mirror move when you focus since there is no AF motor in yours.

Great thank you. I'm going to try disabling VR and see if the problem still happens. I have a feeling that is correct. The lens I'm using is just the 18-55mm kit lens that the camera comes with and yes, it does have VR. The issue feels like there is some sort of mechanical slop, or a "tolerance" somewhere that shouldn't be there. You can hear and even maybe feel a slight clicking sound when this issues happens, as something is moving, hitting something, then whacks back into place. Very very quiet and fast though but if you hear it enough times you could understand what I mean.... :)

To address the earlier post about the level of illumination: sorry about how dark the video is. I could have turned some more lights on in the room. The problem happens the exact same whether it's bright or not though.

J-see

If it happens the moment you press the button to auto focus, it is likely the VR. It can make a sound when it activates, some of mine do I'm sure of that, and that most likely makes the image jump.

If that's the case, there's nothing to worry about.

I just put my 18-55mm on the D3300 and there the same happens, when I press to focus, the image in the viewfinder moves slightly sideways. I hear the sound of the VR activating too but it's very quiet. But I could have another version of that lens.

I'm not sure why it moves but if I had to gamble I'd say it has something to do with the VR alignment. Something is setting itself in the correct position.

Last edited:

Rockworthy

If it happens the moment you press the button to auto focus, it is likely the VR. It can make a sound when it activates, some of mine do I'm sure of that, and that most likely makes the image jump.

If that's the case, there's nothing to worry about.

I just put my 18-55mm on the D3300 and there the same happens, when I press to focus, the image in the viewfinder moves slightly sideways. I hear the sound of the VR activating too but it's very quiet. But I could have another version of that lens.

I'm not sure why it moves but if I had to gamble I'd say it has something to do with the VR alignment. Something is setting itself in the correct position.

Yep you were right: I just checked for this issue again, this time turning off VR. Problem goes away completely with VR off, and comes back when I turn on VR again. Problem solved! Thank you for checking your lens too. Now that I know yours does it too it makes me feel like this is normal behavior and I can completely disregard any worries! Yay thanks I love this nikonites forum now :)

J-see

Yep you were right: I just checked for this issue again, this time turning off VR. Problem goes away completely with VR off, and comes back when I turn on VR again. Problem solved! Thank you for checking your lens too. Now that I know yours does it too it makes me feel like this is normal behavior and I can completely disregard any worries! Yay thanks I love this nikonites forum now :)

You're welcome. Normally it should always behave like that and unless it gets worse, I would no longer worry about it. I've been in similar situations where parts make strange noises and you start to wonder if something inside is malfunctioning. After a while you get used to some noise here and a click there. ;)