Overriding Auto Focus?

Radioactive

Hello,
I have a D610 with a couple of AF-S lens. I have never understood how I can override the auto focus by manually focusing once the auto focus locks into place without damaging the lens or camera. Can someone explain to me how this is done?
Thanks

Last edited:

J-see

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is (or how you can cause damage unless you try to use both simultaneously) but I can manually adjust the focus ring whenever I want (unless the lens prevents it). It won't work when you have auto-focus set to the trigger since then each time you shoot, the AF kicks into action when it is half-pressed.

I use back-button focus which enables me to focus with the one button while taking the shot with the other. I'm not sure if I had to disable it only shooting when in focus. It should work pretty similar on yours.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I believe it can be used when in AF-S but not AF-C. Press the shutter halfway and allow the lens to lock focus. Once it is locked, keep holding the shutter down halfway while manually making the adjust. Then click the shutter. Do not attempt to manually focus the lens during the time the body is autofocusing it. :)

Eyelight

Best I know you need a lens that allows it and it will have a M/A (instead of A) selection on the barrel. Once the AF has stopped, you can manual focus if needed.

J-see

I have one that is M or A only but it requires me to press a button on a lens-ring and turn that before I can adjust manually. I'm not sure all work on that same principle.

All I know is that it is pretty annoying.

Radioactive

Thanks for the information.
Sometimes I would like to manually set the focus after the camera autofocus. I thought with the camera set on AF and the lens set on M/A under some circumstanes damage could occur. So just to be clear are you saying I can manually set the focus point as long as I don't have the shutter button half pressed? I don't use back button focusing.
Thanks,
Bill

Eyelight

Since there may be differences between what I describe and what you have, would be best to read the specific manuals for body and lens.

Makes sense that the M/A feature on an AF-S lens will allow manual focus with no issue. But that may not be the case with lenses without the M/A option (I think some may be labeled A/M).

I'm thinking you can damage an AF lens if the body is set to autofocus and the lens is set to manual.

mikew_RIP

There is a design feature on some lenses called i think full time manual focus,this allows manual adjustment at any point but you would need to be sure your lenses had this.

J-see

I'm thinking you can damage an AF lens if the body is set to autofocus and the lens is set to manual.

According my D750 manual, setting the body on AF while having those lenses on M can indeed damage the body. I assume to do so you'd still need to manually focus while the body is auto-focusing. Just having them both set differently doesn't cause damage. Luckily since I forget that too often.

wornish

Some lenses have a two position switch labelled M/A - M
Others have a three position switch labelled A/M - M/A - M

In both types if the switch is set to M then it only focusses manually and the camera autofocus does not work

If set to M/A then the camera will autofocus but manual focus adjustment is still possible and will prioritise over the auto.
If set to A/M then again camera will autofocus and manual focus adjustment is still possible but you have to move the focus ring some way before the autofocus is overridden. This prevents accidental changes to focus caused by unintended operation of the focus ring.
In both cases the focussed can be manually adjusted even if the shutter is half pressed or AF-On is pressed.

I can't find any ref in my cameras user guide that says you can cause any damage by manually adjusting the focus whilst the camera is set in AF. Why bother having the manual switch on the lens if thats the case? Most people would forget to switch the camera back to Manual as well.

J-see

I had to search but I was sure I encountered it somewhere.

Untitled-2.jpg

Eyelight

Makes sense. It is the motorless AF lenses on a body with focus motor where you could have a problem. Motor engaged in the body and not engaged in the lens.

An AF-S lens, the lens switch controls all.

But now makes me wonder why a motorless body has a menu selection for manual focus???

J-see

What section of the manual is that in? I can't find any ref in my d810 manual. -
Correction just found it .

Luckily I don't have any AF lenses only AF-S so I am OK but thanks for pointing it out.

In mine, the section focus/manual focus. I understand why it can damage the lens but when you need to switch two buttons, it actually increases the risk instead of lowering it.