New firmware update coming soon!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The following info comes from Nikon to announce a new firmware download program on January 19th including several improvements for the D750, D810, D800, D800E, D610 and D600 cameras | Nikon Rumors

There were some rumors few weeks ago that Nikon may start charging money for certain firmware updates and maybe this new program is the first step towards that. Here is a list of firmware updates will be available after the program starts:

• New White Balance update, containing Nikon’s latest algorithms for high-quality color balance in any light.
  • New “Metallic” Picture Control option, providing photographers with a unique high-contrast setting which is both natural and eye-catching.
  • New RAW Histogram. This feature displays impressive full-screen histograms for all 3 color channels (red, green and blue) simultaneously, based on data directly from the image sensor. The new feature allows advanced photographers to fine-tune perfect exposure for each shot.
  • Nikon will bring two D810 features to other cameras in the Nikon DSLR line-up:
    • "Flat” Picture Control, which allows photographers more options for adjustment in post-processing and
    • Electronic First-Curtain Shutter feature, which eliminates vibrations caused by the shutter, is newly available for the recently announced Nikon D750 camera.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the first time I ever heard Nikon was thinking about charging people for firmware updates. :eek: Do any of the other manufacturers charge, and if so, how much? :confused:

Blacktop

New “Metallic” Picture Control option, providing photographers with a unique high-contrast setting which is both natural and eye-catching.

Yes Nikon, thank you for that. How much? I'll give you a ham and swiss on rye.:hopelessness:

Horoscope Fish

Where did it way it was going to cost money?

I think hark is referring to the part that reads, "... There were some rumors [a] few weeks ago that Nikon may start charging money for certain firmware updates and maybe this new program is the first step towards that."

Wondering how soon the D7100 will be added to the list.

I think the paid part will be because they will be adding NEW features to the old cameras. We will have to wait to see hoe that will work. Not sure I like it though. I am afraid it will be a yearly fee for updates.

BackdoorArts

Fuji and Sony have done major upgrades via firmware at no cost and I think that were Nikon to start charging for certain things it would send some bad ripples down a line where they're already on shaky ground with the competition gaining on them and passing them in many areas.

Now, if you want to start charging for roll-your-own upgrades for older cameras (i.e. 100% preview on the discontinued D600) then I don't necessarily have an issue with that. But charging for fixes and new features on the current line of cameras seems doomed for failure.

That said, if the only difference between something like the D610 and an as yet to be specified new D620 were strictly implementable in firmware and Nikon were to offer the firmware upgrade to D610 owners via a purchasable upgrade package specific to that camera (i.e. serial number specific) I would say that's a user-friendly option that would appeal to many of us - or at least me. I'll hand over, say, $50 to turn my almost new camera into the new model if the new features would have otherwise just pissed me off because I bought 3 months too soon.

Fred Kingston

I think it's a good thing. Basically, the Nikons are just memory boxes. Think of it as a smart phone type configuration. Folks don't mind paying a couple bucks for a useful app. I see Nikon following an app type model.

You buy a smart phone and then pay a modest fee to add different apps that suit you. Same with the camera. You didn't buy a Nikon in anticipation of some future firmware... You bought it for what it can do right now. If you want some added feature that does something that you need, wouldn't you download it from a list, and install it?

Of the added features already discussed in this thread... who wouldn't pay $1.99 to download/install them right now? Suppose there was a whole Nikon App store of features that you could buy/download that would customize your camera for the way you work?

sonicbuffalo_RIP

My problem with paying for an upgrade is that Nikon would probably hold back some of the features just to charge more a few months later. You wouldn't really be going from a 610 to a 620. You'd still be going from a 610 to a 610b in reality. Additional monthly charges for upgrade are just crap. Just like paying for a monitored home security system. We'll sell you the equipment cheap if you sign a 3 year contract with monthly charges. No thanks.

BackdoorArts

It's amazing how much you can play with stuff in your head and how we all want to think bad of everything. It happened with Adobe's CC offering, where I was firmly convinced on announcement that this could turn into a nightmare, and yet here I sit, a little over a year later as a firmly entrenched proponent of it. It not only hasn't gone up, but what they've delivered since for my $10/month is worth more than the cumulative cost - and would have had me wanting to spend at least twice as much to play catch up under the old model.

Based on what's actually stated in the link I get this...
  • Nikon is instituting a free program that will allow owners of their full framed cameras to download firmware updates, which may include new and advanced functions, for up to 3 years.

To quote them, ...

By registering with the program, photographers will be able to download advanced firmware updates, adding new functionality to their new Nikon DSLR cameras for up to 3 years. The program aims to reinforce confidence in the enthusiast and professional DSLR markets, and inspire photographers to make the most of their cameras, by connecting people to the latest Nikon software innovations.

To interpret them, what I see here is an attempt on Nikon's part not to potentially profit further off their users, but instead to build up some good will in a place where it was sorely lacking after problems with the D600, accusations that the D610 (and even D750) weren't really "new" bodies but simply upgrades to existing models. When Fuji announced the significant firmware upgrades earlier this year I said, "Wouldn't it be nice if Nikon followed suit?!", and I believe they are doing just that. What they are telling me as a Nikon owner is, Have confidence in the product you just bought - confidence that not only will it perform, but if we come up with enhancements to apply to future models that doesn't mean we're leaving you in the dust. Your investment in our brand name means we have an obligation not to abandon you or the products you purchased, so we're committing to our customers that any advancements that can be applied via firmware to our existing models will be made available to you for free for up to 3 years after the model is introduced.

What that means to me is that the D750 that I just bought is guaranteed not to become technically obsolete if they introduce a D760 in November, or a D770 in 2016. It means that menu upgrades and firmware-implementable improvements will no longer only be applied to the next model, which means I no longer have to ask the question, "Should I buy now or wait 3 months in case they introduce something new?" It's a step to restore the confidence that many of you, from your words above, have lost in the company.

I like the idea, and I suspect that most owners will. The jaded among you can wonder what the significance of 3 years in terms of "free", but I believe it's simply a warranty period for firmware - albeit from model introduction and not from date of purchase (in other words, the D600 is 2 years old, so if you buy one now and register, you're guaranteed firmware upgrades for the next year).

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. And Nikon can still screw it up, even if they have the best of intentions. But for now I'm prepared to say "Bravo!!"

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Jake, if Nikon does as you propose they are, I'd be all for that. It's the nickle and dime business world society that gets me. There always seem to be "hidden costs". For now, I'll believe what you posted and say that's a great idea. It would work for me. I don't think Nikon is known for releasing hardly ANY firmware updates until recently. It's nice to see them turning the corner, and I hope for the future, it will continue to play a big part in keeping consumers happy. I'm happy to read what their intentions are.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It's amazing how much you can play with stuff in your head and how we all want to think bad of everything. It happened with Adobe's CC offering, where I was firmly convinced on announcement that this could turn into a nightmare, and yet here I sit, a little over a year later as a firmly entrenched proponent of it. It not only hasn't gone up, but what they've delivered since for my $10/month is worth more than the cumulative cost - and would have had me wanting to spend at least twice as much to play catch up under the old model.

Based on what's actually stated in the link I get this...
  • Nikon is instituting a free program that will allow owners of their full framed cameras to download firmware updates, which may include new and advanced functions, for up to 3 years.

To quote them, ...

By registering with the program, photographers will be able to download advanced firmware updates, adding new functionality to their new Nikon DSLR cameras for up to 3 years. The program aims to reinforce confidence in the enthusiast and professional DSLR markets, and inspire photographers to make the most of their cameras, by connecting people to the latest Nikon software innovations.

To interpret them, what I see here is an attempt on Nikon's part not to potentially profit further off their users, but instead to build up some good will in a place where it was sorely lacking after problems with the D600, accusations that the D610 (and even D750) weren't really "new" bodies but simply upgrades to existing models. When Fuji announced the significant firmware upgrades earlier this year I said, "Wouldn't it be nice if Nikon followed suit?!", and I believe they are doing just that. What they are telling me as a Nikon owner is, Have confidence in the product you just bought - confidence that not only will it perform, but if we come up with enhancements to apply to future models that doesn't mean we're leaving you in the dust. Your investment in our brand name means we have an obligation not to abandon you or the products you purchased, so we're committing to our customers that any advancements that can be applied via firmware to our existing models will be made available to you for free for up to 3 years after the model is introduced.

What that means to me is that the D750 that I just bought is guaranteed not to become technically obsolete if they introduce a D760 in November, or a D770 in 2016. It means that menu upgrades and firmware-implementable improvements will no longer only be applied to the next model, which means I no longer have to ask the question, "Should I buy now or wait 3 months in case they introduce something new?" It's a step to restore the confidence that many of you, from your words above, have lost in the company.

I like the idea, and I suspect that most owners will. The jaded among you can wonder what the significance of 3 years in terms of "free", but I believe it's simply a warranty period for firmware - albeit from model introduction and not from date of purchase (in other words, the D600 is 2 years old, so if you buy one now and register, you're guaranteed firmware upgrades for the next year).

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. And Nikon can still screw it up, even if they have the best of intentions. But for now I'm prepared to say "Bravo!!"

So the rumor was unfounded?

Has anyone heard anything about the firmware update? I read it might be delayed until the CP+ show which is this weekend. That possibility came from Nikon Rumors.