Nikon 50 mm 1.4 D lense

Jimmers

I found a Nikon 50mm 1.4 D lense in a box I buried long ago in my storage closet the other day. May I have opinions on whether the 50mm D lens is as good, better or worse than the 50mm G lens. I tried it on my D200 and it focuses fast and seems to take fairly good pics, however I haven't put them on any PP software to date.

I have a D700 coming today sometime and wanted to know if it's worth keeping or getting a more current 50mm lens would be better.

Thanks...Jimmers

480sparky

It's probably 95% as good as the current G lens.

Unless I really look hard when pixel-peeping, I can't tell the difference between my 50/1.8 D and 50/1.8 G lenses.

The G lens might focus a bit faster, but it may not be worth spending the money for that.

PapaST

I have a 50mm 1.4D and contemplated the same jump to G. I haven't seen anything that tells me it's worth the jump. I actually like having the aperture adjustment on the lens, in case I ever reverse lens or stick it on a camera that doesn't communicate electronically with the lens.

hrstrat57

My favorite lens of all the bits in my kit.

Absolute killer on 12 mp D700 on mine more than any other. I would not trade you straight up for a G vs the 50 F/1.4 D I have!!

Jimmers

480sparky, papaST and hrstrat57:

Thank you for all the replies. Glad I still have this lens! Looks like it will come in handy, especially with my D700!! Darn...where's UPS today???? !!!

Thanks...Jimmers