Advice please

paul04

If I am correct the F1.4G will auto focus on your D5300, the F1.4 Ai will only be manual focus

Last edited:

SkvLTD

Or get the D version that will autofocus if you upgrade bodies later on. G costs way too much for what its worth IMO.

SkvLTD

Then get the 35/1.8G DX. It has a useable general purpose field of view unlike what 50 will give you, and you have plenty megapixels to push ISO high enough without losing too much detail unlike the older models of the body.

Mr. Shine

The D5300 will also not meter with AI lenses, so you will have to set your ISO, aperture and shutter speeds without the camera assisting you at all.

Blacktop

I would get the 50mm 1.8-G for your camera. Half the price of the 1.4. It will also autofocus on the 5300. If you had a D7100 I would tell you to get the 50mm 1.8-D.

bigal1000

If you want 50mm FOV get the Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX ! If you want 75mm FOV get the 50mm 1.4 or better yet get a Nikon 50mm 1.8D and save some $$$

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Then get the 35/1.8G DX. It has a useable general purpose field of view unlike what 50 will give you, and you have plenty megapixels to push ISO high enough without losing too much detail unlike the older models of the body.

Since you plan on staying DX this is what I you should do for now......

I have the 50 1.4 AF D and agree it is most excellent but it will not AF on a 5000 series Nikon.

Since it appears from your post that tight budget might be an issue if you want a 50mm the G F/1.8 might be a better choice..... a lot cheaper.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Copy paste Nikon UK product sheet:

Nikon UK - NIKKOR Lenses - Auto Focus Lenses - DX - Single Focal Length - AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G - Digital Cameras, D-SLR, COOLPIX, NIKKOR Lenses

Nikon UK - NIKKOR Lenses - Auto Focus Lenses - FX - Single Focal Length - AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G - Digital Cameras, D-SLR, COOLPIX, NIKKOR Lenses

SkvLTD

I'll also add that resale value of a well-kept 35G is very high compared to the initial low cost. Another little trick of the trade is that is CAN work on FX, wide-open with relatively acceptable or no vignetting depending on the angle of the incoming light.