A Good Website to Buy Frames?

ptcasper

I recently landed a big project for a local bar and I am going to be framing my matted photos. Does anyone have a recommendation for a website they have worked with that supplies frames? I am just looking for 16x20s, black wood finish, nothing fancy ~$30-40

RON_RIP

If your selling your prints you should probably be looking at a wholesale frame shop where you can get pre-cut frames, mats and glass plus all manner of supplies and framing tools.

RON_RIP

Well if you find a web site you should consider metal frames. The can be precut and shipped broken down to save freight. With their hardware kit they are easy to assemble with just a screwdriver.

nickt

If you are just looking for simple and inexpensive frames, my wife swears by Kohl's department store for picture frames. They are pretty much always 'half off', but I think that's how Kohl's markets. We've gotten some decent frames for gifts in the $20 range. I don't know if they sell the same frames on their website. You'd probably want to see them in person anyway. If you have a Kohl's nearby, it might be worth a look.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Michael's, the hobby/craft stores, if there is one in your area, is the best place I've found for a good variety of frames at a good price.

BackdoorArts

I was going to say Michael's as well. They have basic 16x20 black wooden frames with a pre-cut mat for an 11x14 photo at around $40 each, and they're almost always on sale at either at 40% off or BOGO. Then, you hit their website and look for a 15-25% off your entire order sale items included coupon and you're set. The added advantage is that you get to look them over and make sure there are no dings or scratches, which will invariably exist on anything mail order. I use them almost exclusively for all my frames, including the stuff I have in galleries.

This is a frame I use all the time that goes for $39.99. This particular one is a little better quality and doesn't go on sale as often, so when it does I buy a few and stack 'em up on a shelf in my office. I generally replace the included mat with a double mat (either white with black or something else that brings out the photo) which adds another $8 (before coupon). They have a basic black, unbeveled frame that goes about $5 cheaper that I use as well.

IMG_3447.jpg

Braineack

I've used arttoframe.com to have them cut a custom matte and frame for me to fit two 8x14" menus. Price was good and frame seemed decent enough.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Another Micheal's fan here. ;)

Last year I needed a 22" x 28" black frame--one that had a 1.5" molding. It was to match other black frames used by the drama department. Unfortunately I couldn't find one and settled for a black one with a 1" molding instead. I checked at Michael's, AC Moore, Jo-Ann Fabrics, and Target and wound up buying one from Target.

Like Jake said, you need to check out each frame and find the ones that aren't so dinged and scratched.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
BTW, I was going to say Pearl Art & Crafts but see they've gone out of business. There used to be a big, 2-floor store in Woodbridge, NJ that was absolutely fantastic for frames, mats, stitchery, art supplies, etc. It had the largest section exclusively for frames that I've ever seen in any store.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow....guess who's going to Michael's this weekend!

Good luck! As Jake said, Michael's offers coupons which can sometimes be applied to the items. I signed up for Michael's emails which contain links for coupons. :)

Do not overlook Goodwill and thrift stores. you can sometimes score decent frames at these places.

Good idea. Hadn't thought about that. ;)

Pretzel

Also, with Michael's and Hobby Lobby, you can generally find an online coupon (or get it with their phone apps) that will give you 40% off of a regularly priced item if it doesn't happen to be on sale. If you have time, though, they rotate their sales. If it's not on sale now, check back often as it will often BE on sale within a 2-3 week period. Ours here rotate between 50% off sales, makes it nice and easy to frame anything.