This is part nature and part landscape I guess

STM

"Prickly Pear" is a misnomer and a great understatement. These succulents, though beautiful, are the devil's spawn. Their spines are as sharp as a freakin' sewing needle but far more flexible. They embed themselves into your flesh and break off. I have yanked outs out of my shins which have buried themselves in a good half inch or more. I will dig one up and take it home to FL with me, their spring blooms are gorgeous!

D700 and 16mm fisheye. I wanted a highly exaggerated perspective but knew I was going to have to crop/clone my shadow out of the image since the sun was to my back!

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

The big stickers are bad enough, but it's the little flexible ones that are the worst ones! I hope I don't ever get close enough to one to dig it up!

WM

Rob Bye

Yeah, those things are nasty. Here's a suggested tool for digging them up:

Armored-excavator01.jpg

Horoscope Fish

"Prickly Pear" is a misnomer and a great understatement. These succulents, though beautiful, are the devil's spawn.
Quoted for Great Truth. This may, in fact, be a fair understatement.

Pulling out Prickly Pear spines is an experience I can only call, "unique"; right up there with a raging case of poison oak, it is something I would not wish on my worst enemy.