5300 or newer? now or wait?

mechanical eye

D5300 or newer? now or wait?

hi, I'm new here.
had a D3000,want to upgrade. so few advices from you will be much helpful.

Is there a new 5xxx coming soon? will it be much better then D5300!
My prime target is good low light family/street/social photo. The LCD made me interested in 5300 over 3300. Budget is obviously a factor.Interested to buy a 35mm AFS prime1.8. would it be wise to buy the body only?(as 18-55 VR II will cost another 90$, am I going to need it anyway?)
and of course I am BEGINNER!
THANKS.

P.S- if its 5300...should i wait 2-3months, so the newer one makes price drop for 5300?

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

hi, my prime target is good low light family/street/social photo. The LCD made me interested in 5300 over 3300. Budget is obviously a factor.Interested to buy a 35mm AFS prime1.8. would it be wise to buy the body only?(as 18-55 VR II will cost another 90$, am I going to need it anyway?)
and of course I am BEGINNER!
THANKS.

P.S- if its 5300...should i wait 2-3months, so the newer one makes price drop for 5300?
There's always going to be *something* "just around the corner" so if you're in the position to buy, I'd say go for it. The D5300 is an *amazing* shooter; I bought one for my girlfriend some months ago and I never cease to be amazed at the image quality. She shoots almost exclusively with a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G as well; I can't even remember when she wasn't shooting with it, actually. Anyway, it's a superb combination that would serve ANY photographer well.

The Nikon 18-55mm is a great little lens but if I had to pick between the two, the 35mm prime would come home with me every single time and twice on Sunday. No doubt about it. If it were me, I'd tell you to pocket the $90 and put it towards something like a good tripod/ballhead combination.

mechanical eye

thanks Horoscope Fish!
I never thought like that, and yes, if that prime lens serves that great, I should spend the kit lens money on tripod/others...sounds so good!!

but just a feeling?! .... should I wait 2-3 months more?

Pretzel

thanks Horoscope Fish!
I never thought like that, and yes, if that prime lens serves that great, I should spend the kit lens money on tripod/others...sounds so good!!

Only rumor I'm aware of right now is a possible 7200 or 9300. Doesn't mean the next 5x00 isn't coming out soon though. It's been on the market about a year... I agree with the Fish, though. If you can get it now, go ahead. There will always be those moments of "If I had waited until now" moments, just like with my D7100, but I didn't regret a single day of shooting with my new beast before I saw a slightly better price, so... I WIN!

RocketCowboy

I've heard rumors of a D5500, but those rumors were pretty faint and now something I'd be putting stock in. More detailed have been the rumors of a D7200 or D9300 as @Pretzel mentioned.

Like HF said, there is always rumor of the next model, with no definite release date. If anything, Nikon and Canon have been increasing their release velocity, so new models are coming out sooner rather than later. Trying to time the market for the best deal will lead to frustration at best. There were some great deals on the D5300s over Christmas, so you could still find some of those ... possibly even refurb deals on the D5300 to make it very attractive to jump on one now. Ultimately it all depends on what your needs are. (Need a camera now or later?)

J-see

Yep, there's always that next thing to be released or a possible better price tomorrow but if you constantly wait on those, you'll become stuck in Limbo.

If you want another cam now and there's no certainty for anything better tomorrow, go buy. While hope might keep us going, it won't make us grow fat.

fotojack

Look at it this way: you want to buy a 2015 model SuperDooper Car, but surely there will be a better one next year, or the year after. Meanwhile, you're taking the bus. ;)

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
The D5500 is now being shown and you are able to pre-order it. I guess your question is now pretty much answered because you will soon be able to see how the price of the D5300 is effected and the price of the D5500 to see the difference. Ha!

mechanical eye

thank u all for nice opinions. At last
the D5500 is coming, I'll wait a bit till mid February, I think.
But I won't go for the 5500. I'll buy a new D5300 instead(still hope it'll come down little bit, b'coz budget is very limited for me). I'll add a 35mmAFS 1.8 prime, a 32GB Sandisk Extreme, a tripod parhaps. Later I'll plan for a 55-200 or 55-300 VR.

please let me know if any additional thought you guys have.
Thanks

gav329

Re: D5300 or newer? now or wait?

Hope you enjoy your D7200 lovely camera but not as portable as the D5300. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yormalda

thanks Horoscope Fish!

I have a Nikon D5300, great camera with 18-140 + other lens, I would buy it, the D5500 in my opinion not worth the extra $ for what you get!

carguy

Re: D5300 or newer? now or wait?

ended up with a D7200 and 35mm!!!

sent from my Moto G using tapatalk

Good Call right there - enjoy!

When I read "good low light family/street/social photo" I thought D7100/7200 due to the low light capabilities and the adjustment dials on the body.

JH Foto

I have been using the 5300 for about a month now and found it to be a superb camera, it is in fact the second 5300 I have owned. The first one I owned was just after they first came out, but since then I have had a go with Mirror less cameras and a Bridge camera but I am back to the 5300 an excellent all round camera..