Poorly camera

anthonyric

Hi guys

well as we all know you should never lend out your equipment... Well this is what i did and ended up with my D7000 back and not focusing automatically.

Apparantly my camera was only used to take a movie?

The camera will not focus automatically now after is arrived back to me. I can focus the camera manually only. Does any one have any idear what this could be.

I have tried differant lenses and settings but still no joy.

Any one have any idear before I ship it back to the uk to be anilized...Im living in Mallorca spain and the cost of equipment her is a complete joke.. so its get it fixed or it may be cheaper to buy another body...from the uk.

Thanks guys

Hope you all have a clicking 2015

Regards Anthony

Up Date:

I have also just found out that my friend used my Tamron LD DI -AF 70-300 1:4-5:6 Tele macro lens to try to film the moon...

Last edited:

oldsalt

Maybe go through all the menu settings as "they" may have re-set something... you did say they shot a movie with it.... worth a look anyway before you go to the expense of shipping it back to the U.K. It may turn out to be something quite simple - hope so for your sake.
good luck with it...
cheers

anthonyric

Hi there old salt

Many thanks for this info.. As I am a complete beginner I did not want to start messing around with the camera especially the Movie side of the it as I have not attempted to use this facility yet..

I imagine there will be a factory setting which i will try to find and compare with what the settings are.

Many thanks for viewing my post and taking the time to reply most appriciated..

All the very best for 2015

Tnx again

Anthony

anthonyric

Hi Don

yes this is the first thing i checked and also tried a differasnt Nikkor lens x two 18-55 18-105 same thing with both lenses..

I prey its not the motor...?

Many thanks for your reply

Anthony

Ironwood

If the 18-55 & 18-105 are both "g" lenses, they will focus with their own motor inside the lens, maybe you could check the electrical contacts on the camera body where the lens fits in, if they are dirty maybe they could cause your problem.

Do you have an older AF lens that uses the screw drive from the cameras AF motor that you can try ?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hopefully there might be a camera store not too far from you where you could bring the camera so they could check on the settings. It has to be a switch on the camera or the lenses that was turned off. Did you try the back button focus?

Horoscope Fish

There is also a lever on the back of the camera body, below the "OK" button and above the "Info" button. If the switch is set to "L" the camera's focus has "L"ocked. Move it down to the unlocked position. This switch has messed with me more than once and it about drove me nuts the first time it happened.

D7000.jpg

480sparky

Here's a wild and crazy thought.

How 'bout asking the person you loaned the camera to if they made any changes to the settings?

Just spit-balling.

Rob Bye

What is it with people?

I took one of my cameras to a gathering of fellow photographers; the first person to pick it up went straight into the menu to start making alterations to my settings. I wasted no time letting him know that was NOT COOL!

J-see

What is it with people?

I took one of my cameras to a gathering of fellow photographers; the first person to pick it up went straight into the menu to start making alterations to my settings. I wasted no time letting him know that was NOT COOL!

You should have waited until after the meeting, followed him to his car, popped the hood and then made some changes there. ;)

Englischdude

There is also a lever on the back of the camera body, below the "OK" button and above the "Info" button. If the switch is set to "L" the camera's focus has "L"ocked. Move it down to the unlocked position. This switch has messed with me more than once and it about drove me nuts the first time it happened.

View attachment 131141

please correct me if Im wrong, but I think this switch simply locks the focus points preventing any others from being selected, it will not however prevent auto focusing. I remember using this switch on my D7K but never had an issue with focus,

Nikkon

please correct me if Im wrong, but I think this switch simply locks the focus points preventing any others from being selected, it will not however prevent auto focusing. I remember using this switch on my D7K but never had an issue with focus,

You are absolutely right. This doesnt lock focus but just the focus aerea/points. permanent Focus lock, (if useful) is only possible in Manual mode.

What I try to do (yes try because I tend to forget it now and then) when I want others to take pics with my camera (I never loan my camera for longer periods) is making use of the custom settings menu banks. For personal use my settings are under A (because I use the AF-on button instead of shutter for AF-lock) and for others who are not used to this I use the factory settings (shutter button for AF-lock) and put them in menu bank B. Before giving my camera I change it to bank B.
Might be useful when you loan your body to others.

Last edited:

Englischdude

Might be useful when you loan your body to others.

never say never, but never again! loaned my beloved D3100 to a girl at work to play with over the weekend. Got the camera back full with what looked like plastic splinters visible in the viewfinder. i have absolutely no idea what she did, but the contamination was visible under the focus screen!.

if someone wants to borrow a camera, they can take my old casio exilim S100 ;)

Blacktop

never say never, but never again! loaned my beloved D3100 to a girl at work to play with over the weekend. Got the camera back full with what looked like plastic splinters visible in the viewfinder. i have absolutely no idea what she did, but the contamination was visible under the focus screen!.

if someone wants to borrow a camera, they can take my old casio exilim S100 ;)

False eyelashes?