The first one from Sedona

STM

What an amazing place this is!! I am staying in Cottonwood, about 20 miles to the south. The drive to Sedona is filled with amazing landscapes as well. The skies were absolutely cloudess an a deep blue. I shot this one about 4 in the afternoon just south of Sedona with the 300mm f/2.8 AIS on a tripod. The long telephoto emphasized the moon even more. It has amazingly deep reds and blues in color, with the sun that low in the sky, but I still think the black and white version blows it away. I don't anticipate many of these images will make to the final version in color.

>

PapaST

Love it STM... looks great. My wife has talked about visiting Sedona this year. I'm curious since you're in FL too. I'm guessing you flew? Did you carry-on all your gear? Or travel light perhaps? I'm thinking through the logistics in case I decide to go.

STM

Would love to see it in color.

Here is the original in color and I did not manipulate the color or saturation at all, it really was that vivid that late in the afternoon. Digital sensors are a little blue insensitive compared to film so they tend to underexpose deep blue skies anyway. This is getting into that "magic light" bracket, an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset. I determined the exposure using my Pentax 1 spot meter and underexposed by a half of a stop to compensate for difference in D700 ISO and film ASA . Not many would people consider a lens as long as 300mm to be a good landscape lens, but this one sure is when you want to compress perspective!

RON_RIP

The thing about Sedona is the colors of the rocks. I feel that only color prints do them justice. I do like to print the same photos both ways and hang them in different rooms and see who catches on. Hope you will show us both versions of everything you shot there.

STM

The thing about Sedona is the colors of the rocks. I feel that only color prints do them justice. I do like to print the same photos both ways and hang them in different rooms and see who catches on. Hope you will show us both versions of everything you shot there.

This part of the country is not in the "Red Rock National Forest" for nothing! The heavy iron content of the soil and the sandstone makes for some amazing landscapes. The only really disappointing this is that the printed digital B&W rendition of this scene would fall well short of what I could achieve with the Hasselblad, T-Max 100 and Oriental Seagull Grade 2 Cool Tone but I guess you can't have everything. It would be a real hassle to process the film here so I would have to wait until the 3rd week in Jan when I got home to do it and I sure as shootin' wouldn't want to wait that long!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I've traveled west quite a few times and that color shot is awesome! How can you not show the colors when photographing the west? I couldn't do it. My Mother lives in St. George, Utah, and they have the red rocks too. Actually, she doesn't live far from Zion National Park. Bryce Canyon National Park is just up the Interstate a ways too. I love the West. Thanks for the images!