I need some advice on Monitor Calibration...

Amber Rae

I'm using a gateway computer, and I've calibrated the monitor several times. Even though I've calibrated, the colors are still so far off. On this computer I can't adjust the contrast, and I think that has a lot to do with the problem. I'm looking to purchase something along these lines ( Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS Display Calibration System S4X100 B&H ) Has anyone used it before, and does it help with contrast? Thanks in advance for any help given.

I use the Spyder calibration system on my monitors and it does work. Now if your monitor is old or not a very good monitor no amount of adjustment is going to help. Better to spend your money on a good, new monitor.

Horoscope Fish

I use the Spyder calibration system on my monitors and it does work. Now if your monitor is old or not a very good monitor no amount of adjustment is going to help. Better to spend your money on a good, new monitor.
What he said. ^^^

I used a Datacolor Spyder as well and it does the job... But if your monitor (laptop??) doesn't have the controls you need it will be a waste of time and money to invest in.

Amber Rae

My laptop is barely a year old, so it sucks to have to invest in a new one right now. So, I'm kind of just thinking of last ditch efforts here. I'd rather spend $100, and return it if it doesn't work, than spend $2,000 I def don't have. Does the Spyder adjust contrast for you?

Horoscope Fish

My laptop is barely a year old, so it sucks to have to invest in a new one right now. So, I'm kind of just thinking of last ditch efforts here. I'd rather spend $100, and return it if it doesn't work, than spend $2,000 I def don't have. Does the Spyder adjust contrast for you?
Well monitor calibration is requires your input and helps you make adjustments, it doesn't do it all by itself. The application will ask what kind of monitor you're working with and what kind of controls you have at your disposal. If you can't adjust Contrast the software will take that into account and do what it can without asking you to make Contrast adjustments as part of the calibration process. The fewer adjustment controls you have access to, though, the less effective the calibration is going to be. Still, if you buy from somewhere with a generous returns policy you could give it a whirl, see where it gets you and if it's a big waste of time send it back and get a refund.

ruben.carmona

Be sure you buy the Spyder4PRO and not the EXPRESS, as the EXPRESS hasn't got any ambient light sensor and will therefore not adjust your contrast.

Even if your laptop doesn't allow contrast adjustment (no laptop does), the Spyder software will adjust the contrast with the monitor profile inside your graphic board.

I calibrate my MacBook Retina 13" with a spyder, it works good.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well monitor calibration is requires your input and helps you make adjustments, it doesn't do it all by itself. The application will ask what kind of monitor you're working with and what kind of controls you have at your disposal. If you can't adjust Contrast the software will take that into account and do what it can without asking you to make Contrast adjustments as part of the calibration process. The fewer adjustment controls you have access to, though, the less effective the calibration is going to be. Still, if you buy from somewhere with a generous returns policy you could give it a whirl, see where it gets you and if it's a big waste of time send it back and get a refund.

HF covered what I was going to say. I also use the Spyder Pro 4 on my ASUS 19" laptop. There aren't any contrast controls for my display, but the Spyder Pro 4 works quite well. When I've used the Spyder Pro 4 on my older Dell monitor, I am not able to get a bright enough display, and my photos wind up on the dark side. With this laptop, no problems. I've never used the Express version though so can't comment on how it works.