nikon d810 tethering macbook pro

supernoo

Hi i am not able to tether d810 to macbook pro osx 10.10.1 i have d800e and works fine.. i contacted nikon previously before the latest firmware update came out and they told me to wait for firmware update, i have been waiting 6 months for the update with which. still cannot tether this camera to mac i know it works using with card reader but i always shoot tethered in studio. so basically have a 6 month old camera that i have not been able to use. is anyone else having this issue have any advice or do i just have to keep waiting for nikon to sort this out ?

wornish

Hi i am not able to tether d810 to macbook pro osx 10.10.1 i have d800e and works fine.. i contacted nikon previously before the latest firmware update came out and they told me to wait for firmware update, i have been waiting 6 months for the update with which. still cannot tether this camera to mac i know it works using with card reader but i always shoot tethered in studio. so basically have a 6 month old camera that i have not been able to use. is anyone else having this issue have any advice or do i just have to keep waiting for nikon to sort this out ?

what software are you using?

tethering for the D810 works with Lightroom 5.7, capture 1 pro and Nikon capture pro. To my knowledge.

supernoo

yes i believe it does, my issue is not with the software it is with connecting to the macbook pro
I use capture one pro, as mentioned d800e works perfectly... the d810 is not recognized when attached to the mac, heres the specs of my mac, any other mac users experiencing this issue ?
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 8.17.13 AM.png

supernoo

im using capture one pro 8.1, as explained the issue is not with capture one. or the software the d810 is simply not recognized by the computer so no matter what software i use the the d810 is not recognized d800e is recognized by my mac but the d810 is not

wornish

I use an iiMac running OSX 10.10.1 and have a d810 all the software I use recognizes the D810.

Nikon transfer and Nikonview and Lightroom all recognize the D810. What part of your system doesn't ?

supernoo

the computer doesnt recognize it , i tether it to the computer and the mouse kind of freezes for a few seconds then nothing happens as though no camera is connected , i switch to the d800e and the camera is recognized in all software capture one, image capture etc heres is screenshot from macs default image capture software recognizing the d800e
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 8.59.33 AM.png

J-see

I haven't got a D810 but the D750 was released after and I can plug it in my Macbook USB port and it recognizes it.

Not sure if that is usable info in any way.

I'd tell you exactly what OS and such I have if I could find that info. I'm a Mac-noob atm and just switched.

Found some info OS X 10.9.5

Last edited:

wornish

I haven't got a D810 but the D750 was released after and I can plug it in my Macbook USB port and it recognizes it.

Not sure if that is usable info in any way.

I'd tell you exactly what OS and such I have if I could find that info. I'm a Mac-noob atm and just switched.
Found some info OS X 10.9.5

Did you buy your Mac new ?
If so it should be running Yosemite thats 10.10.0 or even 10.10.1. Yosemite came out a few months ago and in the last week or so it has moved to its first dot 1 release.
If you are on 10.9.5 then you need to consider upgrading to the latest OS using the app store. Top apple menu 3rd item down.
The upgrade is Free and it gives you a slightly different look and feel but more importantly it fixes many known issues and improves security.
You do need to take a full backup though first before doing it. On a new mac it will take between 1 - 2 hours depending on how much stuff you have loaded on.

Last edited:

wornish

I never use the image capture app I have my mac set to use Nikon Transfer when a camera is connected.

Not sure if image capture will recognise and display the raw NEF files properly but I know Nikon Transfer does.

J-see

Did you buy your Mac new ?
If so it should be running Yosemite thats 10.10.0 or even 10.10.1. Yosemite came out a few months ago and in the last week or so it has moved to its first dot 1 release.
If you are on 10.9.5 then you need to consider upgrading to the latest OS using the app store. Top apple menu 3rd item down.
The upgrade is Free and it gives you a slightly different look and feel but more importantly it fixes many known issues and improves security.
You do need to take a full backup though first before doing it. On a new mac it will take between 1 - 2 hours depending on how much stuff you have loaded on.

Yeah I bought it new but it seems I need to update indeed. I have little stored on it at the moment since I'm waiting on my external drive before moving all. I'll update it later on today.

oinsua

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem...I have a Nikon D810 that it is not recognized by my macbook pro.
I have the latest OS X Yosemite Ver. 10.10.2, latest updates, etc.

I took the camera to the shop thinking it might have been a poor USB connection and they told me that there's issues with Yosemite/Macbook/Nikon D810; however, they couldn't pin point the problem.
The computer does not see it at all...it sees my D800 though. I tried Lightroom 5.0, Capture One Pro 8.1.1, to no avail.

Any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Oscar

wornish

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem...I have a Nikon D810 that it is not recognized by my macbook pro.
I have the latest OS X Yosemite Ver. 10.10.2, latest updates, etc.

I took the camera to the shop thinking it might have been a poor USB connection and they told me that there's issues with Yosemite/Macbook/Nikon D810; however, they couldn't pin point the problem.
The computer does not see it at all...it sees my D800 though. I tried Lightroom 5.0, Capture One Pro 8.1.1, to no avail.

Any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Oscar

This link might be useful

iPhoto: Troubleshooting Camera Connections - Apple Support

especially step 4 it will show if the system itself is seeing the camera on USB.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 11.57.06.png

Last edited:

nzswift

Interesting, I updated to Yosemite. Hated it. Would have been useful if I had multi apple devices all running the latest ios. My 3GS phone can't take advantage of its potential so I spent about a day reverting back to the last version of Mavericks and got my old familiar icons back.