Lens performance charts for the real world

Bengt Nyman

Lens manufacturers publish MTF charts describing the contrast performance of a lens as a function of the distance from the image center. They typically do this using test charts with 10 or 30 LP/mm (line-pairs/mm).

Many photographers today wonder how their existing lenses will perform on a new camera, especially on one with a higher resolution sensor. An FF, 36 MP sensor corresponds to 104 LP/mm and a 50 MP sensor corresponds to 144 LP/mm. Testing done with 10 and 30 LP/mm charts are therefore meaningless when it comes to answering these questions.

As it is now, there is an large discrepancy between test results published by Lenscore and those published by DxO. If you believe Lenscore the Nikkor 600mm f/4 is 31% sharper than the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4. If you believe DxO the 85mm lens is 25% sharper than the 600mm, tested on a Nikon D800E.

The relatively new DxO definition of a lens resolution expressed in PMP (Perceptual Megapixel) is limited to its performance on a specific camera and not very useful in predicting the performance of that lens on a different camera.

The only way to know for sure would be if the industry started publishing charts showing the lens image contrast (readability) as a function of test chart line pair density (or test chart MP). Since newer, high resolution sensors correspond to 104 LP/mm (36MP) and 144 LP/mm (50MP), you would like to know how the lens performs at various test chart line pair densities (or test chart MP) up to 144 LP/mm (50 MP). This way you could clearly see at what resolution (in LP/MM or MP) your lens stops producing readable results compared to the resolution potential of your image sensor.

This information would end the arguments between the optimists who think that their existing lenses will give them 45 PMP images from their new 50 MP camera, and the pessimists who think that their new high resolution camera will need all new lenses.

Last edited:

murphc13

Lens manufacturers publish MTF charts describing the contrast performance of a lens as a function of the distance from the image center. They typically do this using test charts with 10 or 30 LP/mm (line-pairs/mm).

Many photographers today wonder how their existing lenses will perform on a new camera, especially on one with a higher resolution sensor. An FF, 36 MP sensor corresponds to 104 LP/mm and a 50 MP sensor corresponds to 144 LP/mm. Testing done with 10 and 30 LP/mm charts are therefore meaningless when it comes to answering these questions.

As it is now, there is an large discrepancy between test results published by Lenscore and those published by DxO. If you believe Lenscore the Nikkor 600mm f/4 is 31% sharper than the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4. If you believe DxO the 85mm lens is 25% sharper than the 600mm, tested on a Nikon D800E.

The relatively new DxO definition of a lens resolution expressed in PMP (Perceptual Megapixel) is limited to its performance on a specific camera and not very useful in predicting the performance of that lens on a different camera.

The only way to know for sure would be if the industry started publishing charts showing the lens image contrast (readability) as a function of test chart line pair density (or test chart MP). Since newer, high resolution sensors correspond to 104 LP/mm (36MP) and 144 LP/mm (50MP), you would like to know how the lens performs at various test chart line pair densities (or test chart MP) up to 144 LP/mm (50 MP). This way you could clearly see at what resolution (in LP/MM or MP) your lens stops producing readable results compared to the resolution potential of your image sensor.

This information would end the arguments between the optimists who think that their existing lenses will give them 45 PMP images from their new 50 MP camera, and the pessimists who think that their new high resolution camera will need all new lenses.
I see your point.Buy just imagine for a secong if you are Nikon or Canon.In the current climate it's difficult for the consumer to know if he "should" upgrade his/her lenses for his shiny new camera.If a real performance lens chart existed,where we could identify the "necessity" to change our expensive lenses or not then you (Nikon,Canon) you possibly lose millions or more.
I'm not into photography(Dslrs anyway) very long and i see that theres so much bullshit,rumours,false information....no concrete anything.
These 1dx or d4s "reviews" for example...."The d4s is the best camera in the world"...."and i shoot Canon".
Or "the 1dx is the best camera ever"...."and this is coming from a Nikon shooter".
Discuss:)

rocketman122

numbers mean jack shet to me. I dont believe a single character dxo or LS post. they are biased and get payed to up the numbers. all I care to see is the raw files. I dont care for anything over 24mp. no one here on the forum except for 1 -2 people who mIGHT use anything over 24mp for poster printing need it as well.

but again, I dont go by numbers. its just a bunch of crap in my eyes. show me images.

Last edited: