Tamron AF 200-400mm f/5.6 LD IF

Fortkentdad

Hoping this is one of those 'oldie's but goodies' we will see
Just had one chance to run outside and shoot some birds in the backyard quickly.
I have to learn to shoot long now.

Shot with my D610 - on Christmas Day - bright and sunny.

hawk_DSC2828_edited.jpghawk_DSC2813_edited.jpghawk_DSC2810_edited.jpgbluebird_DSC2771_edited.jpgBluebird_DSC2770_edited.jpg

Fortkentdad

creek_DSC3750_edited.jpgleaves_DSC3747_edited.jpgmoon_DSC3734_edited.jpg

Having a little more playtime with my new toy.
Went bird hunting at sunset - while I could hear a chirp or two, never spotted any feathered friends.
But did get a chance to try out a few other subjects. Close up a leaves - from several meters away - like 30 maybe. And I took a moon shot - could be better but best I've ever taken.

Fortkentdad

One thing I've noticed with my D610 which I find a bother - it is way too easy for the exposure adjustment to get way out of whack without me noticing. Must just be touching it by mistake and I don't notice until way too late that I'm totally over or under exposing a shot unintentionally. Anyone else have this foible to deal with?

Fortkentdad

IMG_20150101_103128.jpgIMG_20150101_103314.jpgIMG_20150101_103752.jpgIMG_20150101_104007.jpgIMG_20150101_104400.jpg

A little New Years morning bird hunting - missed the bright red cardinal - just too quick for me.
PP on an android tablet using free apps - not the best but works on the road.

Redtail55

What shutter speed and aperture are you using at 400mm ?Your best shot is the female cardinal for sure ,with the Cedar Waxwing next , although it's a dark exposure but the detail is there .

Fortkentdad

woodpecker_DSC3784 -1.jpg

woodpecker_DSC3784 -full.jpg

Here is another shot - I'm thinking a female woodpecker but I'm not sure.

EXIF: F/18 1/200 (aperture priority sets speed) 400mm ISO 800
Camera D610 - Tamron 200-400 F5.6

Cropped and pp in Corel Paintshop Pro x7 - used Clearly Perfect plug in to adjust image. Full size is straight from camera - but converted from RAW to JPG in Corel PPx7.

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I'm afraid I was not paying a lot of attention to the F stop at all - just out bird hunting - I'm new to this. Should try to shoot with the lowest F number I can I suppose, and still get a fast enough shutter speed.

Am I further ahead to set a speed and let the camera pick the F stop? Say set it at 1/100 or 1/200 and see what it give me? How slow can I go and get a descent shot away. Suppose that really depends on whether the bird is still or flying eh?

For a sitting bird what is an acceptable shutter speed? Or should I us aperture priority and dial in F/8 or even F/5.6 which this lens will do throughout the full focal range?

I'll look through my shoot and see if I did get a shot with lower F number.

mikew_RIP

I dont know much about your lens but i would try f8 and see how high you can take the iso and still be happy,if your hand holding you realy need to start with a shutter speed that matches the lens ie1/400th when you dont have VR.

Fortkentdad

bluebird_DSC3768 -2 full.jpgbluejay_DSC3768 -1 cropped.jpg

Bluebird - F/18 1/400 400mm ISO 800

First image untouched (just converted from RAW to JPG) second one adjusted - mostly colour balance to get the blue to pop and a little sharpening.

D610 - Tamron 200-400mm

Fortkentdad

4 cedar waxwings_DSC3840 -2 full.jpg4 Cedar Waxwings_DSC3840 -1-cropped.jpg

Cedar Waxwings - four in a berry bush.

F/10 1/250 ISO 800 400MM
D610 - Tamron 200-400mm F5.6

PP in Corel Paintshop Pro X7 - only applied to cropped portion.
Full size has no adjustments, save converted to JPG

Fortkentdad

Think i would have opened the lens up a bit,f16 could start degrading the image,are you not happy with f8

I went back and posted a couple more shots - cropped and not - with EXIF data written.
Not sure why it was lost. While on my trip I tended to use my tablet to edit the images not a PC. Some were done on my son's PC so maybe that's the reason the EXIF did not come through.

My first set included blue bird shots that were done at F/5.6

Fortkentdad

Shots were taken while on vacation in Mississippi.
Back in Canada now, and it is warming up to minus 20 on the weekend - don't think I'll be going bird hunting this weekend.
But once it is warm enough I'll see what I can find - we do have a few birds that don't fly south but not many.

FYI - I did have the 200-400 lens mounted on a tripod for those shots - although the hawks were shot hand held - with the tripod still attached - good thing there was no one else anywhere near me.

jay_dean

I dont know much about your lens but i would try f8 and see how high you can take the iso and still be happy,if your hand holding you realy need to start with a shutter speed that matches the lens ie1/400th when you dont have VR.
Shhhh!! careful Mike, i got shot down when i advised using the reciprocal rule in another thread

Braineack

you camera settings are all over the place and this is really degrading your results; especially with a lens that's probably not the greatest to being with.

Last edited: