Picture printed without credit

SteveL54

So here's what happened. I took a shot of some Christmas Carolers that were performing during an event in my town, which I posted on my social media page. The site that hosts the event contacted me, and asked if they could use the picture for their profile picture. I agreed, and asked only to give me credit for using the picture. No problem. Today, I look in the "big city" newspaper near us, and there is my picture on the "social events" page. WOO-HOO! But the credit to the picture? "Contributed"....... I've never had this happen before. Looks like they just copied the picture from the social media site and printed it. Dang. At least give me a bit of recognition here! I have my copyright embedded in the EXIF, but no watermark on the picture. Looks like I'll have to start doing this as of today. So my question is - Should I call the newspaper and ask for some credit? Or just let it go, and chalk it up to my own negligence for not using a watermark?

Horoscope Fish

Well that seriously sucks. Sounds like someone dropped the ball. That, or you were simply lied to in hopes of gaining your consent, which is what they got so... Mission accomplished. All that being said, what's been done can not be undone and I suspect the best you can hope for at this point would be an apology and maybe a correction printed in section Q, page 23.

Personally, I'd probably want both... But that's me and I tend to push things.

Sandpatch

I'd contact the newspaper and ask that you be given credit for the photo. Newspaper staffs are notoriously thin on holidays; someone slipped up. Good luck. I'd be a bit irritated too.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

That sucks, but pushing the paper to give you credit now is practically useless to me. The paper screwed up and now you might get a blurb out of it, but not beside or under the picture so no one will know what picture you're being given credit for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's unfortunately the way I see it.

SteveL54

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm really happy that it was used. But my name is not "contributed"
Here is the shot.

House3.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Very nice photo, but unfortunately this type of thing happens. Did you check to see if the newspaper has a social media site (the same one you used to originally post your photo)? I only use Facebook so it's the only one with which I am familiar. On a FB page, there is a place to click and see posts made by others. I'm wondering if someone else copied your photo and submitted it. Or possibly the newspaper saw your photo on the event's page and since it didn't include a photo credit, maybe they just copied the photo and added contributed.

Jake recently ran into something similar with a beer glass photo. He contacted them, and if I am not mistaken, he was finally given credit. You can read about that here:

http://nikonites.com/photography-business/27323-my-photo-village-voice-surprise.html#axzz3N13UQWdM

My suggestion is to contact them, request credit (to which you ARE entitled), and also ask how they wound up selecting your photo. Good luck. You did a really nice job with this image! ;)

Blade Canyon

Same thing happened to me. My wife's orchestra posted some of my photos on their Facebook page. Later, the conductor was given the City's Medal of Arts Award. At the event, which we attended, the mayor spoke, then they showed a professional video biography of the conductor, and several of my pictures appeared in the video. It was a great surprise, but I never complained. There was no practical way to attribute the pics in the video, plus I would have instantly given consent, had they asked.

Eyelight

They are in the business of making money by selling newspapers and advertising. They used your image to the benefit of their business. I would ask for compensation. Does not matter how they got it. Your image & your property & your rights to a part of their profit.

Rob Bye

Our local newspapers do that sort of thing regularly. They'll lift an image from social media, then run a credit like, "via facebook". I'm given to believe it's a rather common practice.

BTW, none of what transpired stops you from sending the newspaper an invoice...

Rob Bye

Let me expand on the thought of sending them an invoice - you could possibly turn this into an opportunity:

Daily papers only pay about $35 for a freelance image (nobody gets rich in freelance photojournalism anymore). Probably, you don't really care about collecting your due, but send them an invoice for that amount anyway. It'll get them talking amongst themselves. Wait a few days, then follow-up with a phone call. The goal here isn't to collect the amount receivable, the goal is to speak to the person responsible for running "art" in that paper. Once you get that person on the line, tell them who you are, tell them what you do with a camera, and tell them, since they "obviously like your work", maybe they've got some shoots for you in the future? Email them a link to your your website or gallery. Basically, you want to "get your name out there". What have you got to loose? They've handed you a lemon, get busy making lemonade!

SteveL54

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. The newspaper responded to my email with a phone call. Apparently, someone lifted it off the internet, and sent it in, claiming that they just happened to see it. They had stripped my EXIF data from the picture. Newspaper apologized, and they will reprint with proper credit in the Sunday edition (whit has a much higher circulation than daily). I am satisfied with their resolution.

Anyways, here is an informative article on this subject that someone has sent to me.

Who owns a photo once it's put online: free cheat sheet to understanding copyright | Digital Camera World