Confused about whether I can use a particular lens on my camera

octobercrow

I have a Nikon D7000, and on it I use a Sigma 18-250mm lens, which I love. But now I have a Nikon D810 full-frame camera. Sigma says the lens is only compatible with APS-C DSLRs. So does this mean I CAN'T use it on my new camera? What would happen if I did? Would my lens or camera suffer damage?

Thanks for helping.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No damage would occur, but you might loose the outside the Dx range of your cropped sensor lens. The DX (18-250) lens you have is not made to project a large enough image on your new FX sensor. But you can use it without fear. Try it out and see if it's good for you.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

First, welcome to Nikonites! Second, your camera would be confiscated by aliens. :sneakiness: in all seriousness, your images with that lense will likely show a vignetting, which is caused by using a DX lens on a FF camera. It would be like looking through a tunnel. Since you're now full frame, buy full frame lenses.

mikew_RIP

I think the D810 has a crop mode dont know if its auto or you have to select it,when using crop mode you will see a black frame in the viewfinder showing the image area so use crop mode and your lens and it will be just as its always been,although you will lose the benefit of full frame.

J-see

Since it is a zoom, you'll probably encounter the same issues I had when using the DX 10-24mm on the FX. The shortest end will most likely be unusable in FX mode because it distorts just too much and doesn't have a wide enough cone of light to fill the larger sensor but when you go to higher ranges, it'll be usable. For my 10-24mm that's around 15mm. Yours will likely be somewhere around 30mm.

The additional problem you can encounter is it not performing well on the FX. Since it is not designed for larger sensors, besides vignetting you might suffer stretching at the corners of your shot. For me it was bad enough to switch to an FX wide.

rocketman122

I think the D810 has a crop mode dont know if its auto or you have to select it,when using crop mode you will see a black frame in the viewfinder showing the image area so use crop mode and your lens and it will be just as its always been,although you will lose the benefit of full frame.

Mike is right. your camera (if set in the menu) will show you a viewfinder that has a border and it will shoot at 15mp. still very useable.

this pic below is a DX fisheye on a FF camera
party time.jpg

the image has a black border which is how pics will come out. this is with a D3/D3s and it will do 5mp with DX lenses. its not exactly straight edges because the hood is showing in the frame. yours should be straight.