Photos from the Phoenix Zoo

STM

I have added 15 images from yesterday to a separate library on Photobucket. I will most likely add more as I wade through all of the 170 images I shot. Most were shot with the 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 and at times with the TC-14B and TC-300 as needed . All shots with the 300mm were hand held but the 600 really requires a monopod. It is just too big and heavy to hand hold and focus at the same time unless you are Ahnold or Hans and Franz. Did I forget to mention that despite their substantial weight, I LOVE those two lenses?

Some of them do look like "zoo photos" but there is just so much you can do with some of the artificial backgrounds you have to deal with at times!

Last edited:

Blacktop

I have added 15 images from yesterday to a separate library on Photobucket. I will most likely add more as I wade through all of the 170 images I shot. Most were shot with the 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 and at times with the TC-14B and TC-300 as needed . All shots with the 300mm were hand held but the 600 really requires a monopod. It is just too big and heavy to hand hold and focus at the same time unless you are Ahnold or Hans and Franz. Did I forget to mention that despite their substantial weight, I LOVE those two lenses?

Some of them do look like "zoo photos" but there is just so much you can do with some of the artificial backgrounds you have to deal with at times!

Good looking shots, but I gotta ask. Why do you need a 600mm lens at the zoo? How far are these critters?

STM

Good looking shots, but I gotta ask. Why do you need a 600mm lens at the zoo? How far are these critters?

Some were a good ways away, far enough I had to occasionally break out the TC's to get the shots I wanted. And I find a zoo as good a place as any to do animal "portraiture" rather than just the standard "full animal" images. And for that you need to get in close. You can't do that physically for obvious reasons, so you have to do so optically. And nothing does it better then the 600mm f/4!

Blacktop

Some were a good ways away, far enough I had to occasionally break out the TC's to get the shots I wanted. And I find a zoo as good a place as any to do animal "portraiture" rather than just the standard "full animal" images. And for that you need to get in close. You can't do that physically for obvious reasons, so you have to do so optically. And nothing does it better then the 600mm f/4!
That makes sense. Most zoos around here are pretty lame. Everything is either behind a tall fence or glass. One day I'm going to have to drive the 6 hours up to the Cincinnati zoo. I hear it's world class.