So at my job pops up a 15mm F5.6 Ai lens...

skene

Why oh why do they do this to me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wondering if it would be worth the money for just a chance at owning a rarity such as this... Lens looked clean from a quick inspection.

This is the lens in question... not my image.
301523322_1fa82e21d3_z.jpg

STM

This is one of Nikon's "gems" to be sure. Nikon did produce a newer version, the 15mm f/3.5 but both are outstanding lenses and this one appears to be pristine condition. The best thing about both of these lenses is that they are extreme wide angle lenses however straight lines stay straight.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My concern would be that the widest aperture is only f/5.6. It might be difficult to focus in low light conditions. Sigma made a 14mm f/2.8 AF rectilinear lens that would be much more functional and was rated to be as good, if not slightly better, than the Nikon 14mm f/2.8 AF.

If the price of this Nikon lens is good for you, please at least check out a used Sigma 14mm for comparison before making your decision. Granted the Nikon may be rare, but weigh in all the factors. ;)

Horoscope Fish

Cool enough I'd want it even though it would rarely see the light of day in actual use.

Still. That kind of Cool Factor... That can DO things to a man's wallet. I think we'd all understand, either way.

STM

Cool enough I'd want it even though it would rarely see the light of day in actual use.

Still. That kind of Cool Factor... That can DO things to a man's wallet. I think we'd all understand, either way.

You could always take up architectural photography. That lens excels at it. Just be careful about bright light sources, both the f/3.5 and f/5.6 are prone to ghosts.

STM

I am surprised no one has asked or maybe I just missed it. How much are they wanting for the lens? I have seen a few nice ones on Fleabay for $800-$900 +/-

STM

My concern would be that the widest aperture is only f/5.6. It might be difficult to focus in low light conditions.

The depth of field on this lens is so huge that you could set the hyperfocal distance for f/8 or f/11 and never worry about it. You could even go as far as to set it and hold it in place with electrical tape which I have seen done before. That is the nice thing about ultra wide lenses, the depth of field is huge.