Underwater

Daniel1

Hi guys,

I am considering buying an underwater camera case for my husband who just recently got a D7100. The thing is, they either seem to cost £20 and possibly not be so reliable, or they cost £2500 and is serious professional gear. Underwater photography will be a pretty rare thing (one opportunity this month, and who knows after that...nothing planned as of right now!) so I was hoping for something safe (especially given that it is a new camera) and that works well, but without all the bells and whistles of something that a professional who does this weekly or monthly might want.

Any recommendations?

Thanks. :)

skene

Without going into too much info, you can do google searches for underwater casings for the D7100 to get an idea of what it would cost (However it is not an inexpensive item and will cost more than the camera body itself).
Otherwise you can also look into the Nikon AW1 which you would be able to submerge into water (provided you get the body with the underwater lens). This I suspect would also set you back close to what a replacement body would cost (Body/lens). You still would not be able to go any further than what would be rated for depth due to increased water pressures the deeper you dive.
So for really deep dives, you may want to invest in a housing, or if you are handy with specing out and building/creating items from acrylics, you may be able to build your own (would not recommend unless you do have experience).
Good luck.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think it's a bit wiser to buy a camera already designed for underwater shots. I would never consider a baggy to put my D7100 in (yes I realize they're specially made to fit the D7100), but I would take the chance. You also have to consider all the buttons on the D7100 that you'd have to have accessibility to.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd just buy a waterproof camera like this one for about 250$. So many things can go wrong with an underwater housing, unless your husband wants to go down deep, these little cams are OK until about 45 feet.
MCC_5692.jpg

There are many choices as far as brands and price. If he wants to go really deep, don't forget to get an underwater flash as well...