Well I tried

theregsy

I stood for a good half hour the other night watching an amazing display of lightning right overhead, I haven't seen a storm like it for years, there was a torrent of water running down the street and almost solid rain pelting down (we do very very good rain in Cumbria LOL). After a while it dawned on me that maybe I should get my camera (not at my sharpest LOL) so 150 pics later, and changing manual settings on the fly I got 1 OK shot and 1 that isn't good but I like it. I understand why, like moon photos, lightning shots is one of those things that can hook you completely.
REG_6373_DCE.jpg
REG_6401_DCE.jpg

Just need more lightning now, lots and lots more. LOL

goz63

I just read about this the other day as i am interested in getting some lightning shots. What I found out was that you should start with an f-stop around 9-11. Use the camera in bulb mode or for a timed shot of around 30 sec to 3 min. Use a tripod. (obviously this is for night lighting) Then aim the camera where the lighting is happening and keep trying. I have not tried it yet but living in tornado alley, I suspect that I will have an opportunity this summer to give it a whirl.

PavementPilot

If at all possible, try and keep power lines out of the frame. I know this is sometimes hard to avoid or even do, but they distract badly from the subject.

Mike150

Just what I need now. Something else to try. Thanks theregsy. I'll add this to my bucket list. I'll also note not to try this from under a tree or in an open field. For now I'll try to stay contented learning to take Macro Shots.

AxeMan - Rick S.

For you people out there "thinking about" playing with Lightning please check this Nikonites Forum link with my extended reply.

http://nikonites.com/d3000-d5000/1717-help-pleaseee-lightning-shots.html

I have had a VERY slow start this year next chance might be in a few days when we have a 20 - 30 degree temperature change and we should get some storms. This is where I'll be posting my best of each storm this year.

http://nikonites.com/general-photography-forum/2489-lightning-chase-2011-a.html

PLEASE BE SAFE!

Rick