this crazy thing called love!

JyBorg

Hey guys,

Making the jump from low-level pro camcorders to DSLRs. Just snapped up a D3300 and am learning the intricacies of interchangeable lenses. I haven't used them since I was shooting 8mm films in university a decade ago! And 3ccd XLRs were the digital solution, but still looked like soap operas or news footage.

Lately I've been dazzled by the advances in DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, especially the GH4 and the a7s. I wanted to pick up a beginner DSLR and was shocked to find virtually nobody talking about shooting films on Nikon because, as far as I can tell, the entry level D3300 shoots as beautifully as anything Canon has in the mid-level market. The only way I can explain this is the reverse lens controls and the lack of hacks like Magic Lantern.

I forgot what it was like to be a total noob. I'm taking so many shots of my foot and my lamp as I just try basic adjustments to shutter/ISO/f-stop. I'm definitely the next Ansel Adams.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites, it's good that you've got experience with film. Maybe you can educate some of us that just shoot photos. :)

Eyelight

Welcome.

I think Canon has more video shooters because they have lower priced models that do good video, so where people start with a DSLR/video camera. Least that is what was told to me by a person who chose Canon over Nikon.