18-140mm getting scratched up.

Blacktop

I don't know what the hell is going on with my lens. The front element keeps getting scratched up .
A few months ago I noticed a hairline scratch, and I have been really careful with the lens. I only clean it with the rocket blower or brush it off with the lens pen.
Then a week ago I found another small scratch. then now today there is a third hairline scratch on it.
I'm starting to suspect the lens cap. It is the cap that came with it originally.

I don't know WTF is going on with this thing. I never had any scratches on any of my other lenses before.

Bill16

Hmmm That is strange! I know how well you care for your lenses, so this doesn't make much sense!
Have you thought about trying a filter to see if it continues on it's own? Maybe that might stop future damage if it's caused by something touching the lens. Just an idea for ya buddy! :)

§am

I would suggest a filter too and see how you get on.

And lets not turn this thread into a filter yes/no debate - that's been done many a time already

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Well....not to start a debate on it, but yes....I do use a filter on all of my lenses so I've never had that issue. I would use a sensor loupe with magnification to look closely at the scratch mark(s). You might discover something lurking, and then just take the lens on and off a few times the way you normally do, and see if you notice anything in particular that might be a habit that is causing your scratches. Are they long scratches, deep gouges, or just more or less a blemish? When did you first start noticing them? Are they on any of your other lenses?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you get a UV filter, I'd suggest a slim profile one because of possible vignetting at the wide end. They aren't as thick.

FastGlass

Been there. As carefull as we all are with trying to avoid such things. I know many people (photographers) that just throw their lens's into a bag with nothing for protection. Even ran into one of them in the grocery store having them explain that they are back from a shoot, showing me their camera and literally throwing it back in a carry all bag with nothing on the front of the lens. After saying something to them, they look and say " oh... hmmm".

sonicbuffalo_RIP

For every lens I've ever purchased, the lens filter goes on immediately after I remove the lens from the box.

Even before you take the little blue pill? lol I agree....I always ask when ordering if they have the filters for the lens I am ordering. If not, I order from someone else. It's just not worth taking a chance on. Plus you never have to clean the original glass.

RocketCowboy

I doubt Pete is tossing his camera and lens into a carry-all bag without a lens cap.

You might be on to something and potentially it's the lens cap itself that's doing the scratching? Like Fish, I'm a fan of the Hoya HD2 protectors and have either that or an older Tiffen UV filter on each of my lenses for protection. I've been curious as to whether my lens caps are scratching the filters, but haven't seen evidence of that yet. It could be that the filters are taking the brunt of the lens cap edges and doing a better job of resisting scratches.

Either way, it does sound curious and I hope you're able to figure out what's going on.

Eyelight

A lens coating should not scratch that easy. I'm wondering if it's possible to cover a scratch with some type polish that will wear or rub off???

SteveH

IS there anything in your bag that could be pressing the lens cap against the front element? Maybe putting the camera & lens vertically into the bag etc?