Sigma 120-400mm vs Nikon 80-400mm (VR1) Please help??

greyphox

Hi all,

Nikon newbie here, just defected from Canon and got myself a D750

I am considering one of the above lenses for wildlife photography (mainly birds, foxes etc.. nothing large), If I had the money I would grab the Nikon VRII prime lens but I don't have roughly £1500

I do however have around £500 to spend on one and there's plenty going on ebay and other sites "used" for my price range

I just wondered if anybody knew which was the better lens at all? or if there's another out there that I'm missing, I want the sharpest/clearest image possible at 400mm for my budget really.

Hoping the AF and quality of my camera will make up for whichever lens I get but I'm not too sure.

If anybody out there can help with any of this it would massively be appreciated

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I have only recently sold my sigma to buy the Tamron 150-600 i had it for about a year,if you click the link in my signature most of the pictures are labeled with the lens i used,for the money you are talking you would only get the D version of the Nikkor which i understand is not as good as the latest version and most likley slower focus.
If i was you i would try to stretch the budget to a 150-500 sigma i would have said the Tamron but that would be more of a stretch.

greyphox

Thanks Mike, I was considering the sigma 150-500 as the have it new at my local store for £650 but been reading reviews online where most people are sayign at 350-500mm the shapness and image qulity is very poor. (there words not mine)

But then I can't have it all for £500 ish lol

greyphox

I hadn't but just had a look, some nice shots indeed! Thanks Mike.

Think I'll go down to my store and check out the lens in person :)

jay_dean

Avoid the older 80-400mm D. Its always been a slow unloved lens. The siggy is the way to go, a second hand 50-500mm provides a hell of a lot of bang for your buck (as the Americans say). I had the non OS version, and tried it against my new 80-400mm G. The Sigma was a tad slower to acquire focus, and bokeh was not quite as good, but only just, and the price difference is very substantial

J-see

There are no stats for the D750 at the moment but the new Nikon 80-400 is sharper than the Sigma on the D610 and D810 so it can be expected the same is true for the D750. The old 80-400 Nikon scores worst.

18-14-12 on the D810
15-12-10 on the D610