Hello from the San Luis Valley in Colorado

yjd

Hi everyone,

I don't have any Nikon equipment yet but planning to have some this year. I currently have a Pentax K100D Super (same sensor as the Nikon D40) with a few lens, I will sell everything and with a few extra $$$ get a Nikon.

The Nikon I will be looking for is a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 17-70 OS. I love this lens since I like close-up and landscape. I currently have a Pentax M 85mm that I use for portrait so I might be looking into something similar for Nikon. A flash would be nice too, maybe a SB-26 or 28. To finish a long zoom like a 55-300 or 70-300 if my budget allows it!

I'm used to the Pentaxforums.com and I believe the rules here are about the same. For those who look at it, my ID there is YJD.

Feel free to visit my site: yaelstuff.posterous.com and let me know what you think about my photography.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi yjd, welcome to the Nikonites Community. When you get the D90 you should consider getting Nikon glass, 18-55mm, or the 18-105mm. The 70-300mm Nikkor is a great lens for a long reach. Nikkor lenses are a lot better than Sigma. A Nikkor lens will cost a bit more but in the long run you will be a lot happier with the results.

yjd

Thanks Joseph. But then, what is the equivalent of the Sigma 17-70 from Nikon? The main reason I like the Sigma is that I can do good close-up with it, which Nikon lens can do that with that same zoom range?

I'm not against pick up a different, I just don't know that much the Nikon lenses.

Joseph Bautsch

Take a look at the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor ED 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF DX. It will focus down to 15" (.38m). The Sigma 17-70 will focus down to .20m. Slightly closer but how close do you want to get. But I would not choose a lens just based on how close you can get (unless you are planning on buying a range of lenses). If you do you can wind up limiting your shooting range.

KWJams

San Luis Valley is a special place to live. Spectacular vistas and a slower pace of living. We just bought a lot on the other side of Greenhorn Mountain in Colorado City and plan to retire there someday.