Hello from Berkshire, UK

Alwayslearning

Hi all
just registered on the site and primarily to try and get information and advice from Nikon users on the product range. At the moment I'm shooting with a Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT) and have been for the last 7 years but am at the stage where I want to upgrade as I'm finding it limiting. Going through the various options with Canon then I'm leaning heavily towards the new 7D II that has just been released but am going to wait a few months until I look to purchase to allow for any issues/bugs etc to show up and be resolved.

However given the time I have then I have decided to look further into Nikon to see what is available there before I fully commit to a new camera. I'm open minded even though my 350D has served me well for all the time that I've had it. I really don't know much about Nikon and so would appreciate any ideas or feedback about Nikon models that may be at a similar level to the 7D II. The new camera is going to be a commitment into whichever system I opt for and, at the moment, it would be easier to swap now if I felt that Nikon would suit what I wanted.

I'm a hobbyist and not looking to be making a living out of photography, shoot mainly landscapes, buildings and similar. Not much into portrait/model work ( but who knows if that may change in the future ) but do also like to shoot sports as well such as speedway, football, NFL and several others. Think I would prefer to stick with a crop camera for the extra reach but would still consider FF. My main lenses are a Canon 70-200 L and a Sigma 17-70, obviously a change of system would mean new lenses but that's not an issue. So any advice on the better quality lenses for Nikon would be helpful.

I know that's a lot for an intro post and thanks in advance for any info/advice, just wasn't sure where to post the questions :). Happy to go away and research just a question of knowing where to begin with Nikon. Incidentally I'm not trying to start a Nikon/Canon bashing thread either but am genuinely interested in checking Nikon to see what is available

Last edited:

SteveH

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of good advice here about different bits of kit - I would imagine that the equivalent to the Canon 7DII would be the D610 or D750.

Alwayslearning

Thanks for the welcome everyone
Steve - I'll have a look at those and see what they have, gives me a start on looking

Charlie - my main two lenses used are a Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM and a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, with the Sigma being my main lens. I also have the original 18-55mm kits lens and a Tamron 70-300mm though these don't get used too much nowadays.
Sigma do a Nikon mount for the 17-70 so I can do a straight swap if I wanted to but I'm open for any suggestions on lenses that make a good combination with Nikon DSLRs.

mikew_RIP

At the moment if you want crop the one to think about would be the D7100,the problem is though it only has a small buffer no problem unless you shoot raw,there is supposed to be be a new one coming out soon :D which could easily address that problem.

zebulon

A great choice will be the D810, but maybe to get use to Nikon start with an entry level D3200. I had a canon 350D too. Now I have the D3200. What is great it is easy to learn, but to jump to a D7000 or upwards it wil, be more of a learning curve. It depends on how much you want to lay out on a course to get the hang of it!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

A great choice will be the D810, but maybe to get use to Nikon start with an entry level D3200. I had a canon 350D too. Now I have the D3200. What is great it is easy to learn, but to jump to a D7000 or upwards it wil, be more of a learning curve. It depends on how much you want to lay out on a course to get the hang of it!
@zebulon, welcome to the forum as that's your first post.....glad to have you aboard!