Good setup for insect photography with Nikon D3200?

gewhwj

Hello, I'm going to be buying the Nikon D3200 and I would like to know what kind of setup would be nice for photographing insects (specifically jumping spiders).

Is there any specific lenses or flashes that I should buy?

STM

Jumpiing spiders are pretty jittery spiders and unlike most spiders, have excellent vision. You have get pretty close with a macro lens. You might consider using a medium telephoto lens and extension tube(s). I can get some very good close-ups of critters using my 180mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor and a PK-13 and PN-11 extension tubes.

paul04

Welcome to the website.

like the others have said, A macro lens or extension tube, all depends on how much you want to spend.

Eyelight

Any telephoto with a minimum focus distance in the range of the working distance you can achieve. A macro will allow closer focusing, but still needs the reach of a longer telephoto to increase the usable working distance. My thought would be 135mm or greater with longer being better.

Looking thru the Post your spiders thread and checking the EXIF on the images will give an idea of what can be done with which camera & lens combos. Bear in mind the images may have been cropped.

Edited to add: The distance you will likely be working, a single flash with diffuser will work most of the time. The built-in flash will work for short distances, but a little more power would be better.

Last edited:

aroy

If you have no budget restraints, then get the D3300 instead of D3200. The D3300 with its kit lense makes an excellent combo for general shooting, and the kit at 55mm can do 1:0.3 (that is 1/3 of the original size).

For more magnification you need a macro lense, and as others have advised the longer the focal length the better, as you can then maintain your distance from the spider

You will also need a powerful external flash. As most of macro shots are between F/11 and F/32, you need a powerful flash.
To calculate the guide number
. Min Aperture : F/32
. Max distance : 3 feet
. Minimum ISO : 100
so guide number should be approximately 3x32 ~ 100 feet at ISO 100. If you use larger apertures or shoot closer the guide number required will decrease. It will also decrease with increase in ISO.

You can also consider the Nikon Macro Flash system R1C1
R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System from Nikon
This comes with two flashes a mounting ring and the commander module which is required as the D3xxx and the D5xxx do not have flash commander mode. You can also get the above system without commander module, but then you will need at least a D7000 body.